[OPLINLIST] End Of The AfterDark Virtual Reference Service

Noah Himes noah.himes at neo-rls.org
Fri Jun 28 16:57:33 EDT 2013

On September 7th 2004, The AfterDark Virtual Reference Service began answering questions for Ohio’s statewide virtual reference service KnowItNow.  At 11:59 pm June 30th 2013, The AfterDark Virtual Reference Service will close its virtual doors.

During the last 8 ½ years the AfterDark librarians have answered over 100,000 questions, anytime of day, from patrons throughout the State of Ohio.  The idea of having a 24/7 reference service staffed entirely by Ohio Librarians was revolutionary for its time, and AfterDark’s success was the envy of virtual reference services across the United States, including Oregon’s virtual reference service L-net, who contracted the AfterDark librarians to cover Oregon’s statewide reference service from 2008-2012.

The success of The AfterDark Virtual Reference Service can be attributed to our amazing staff of AfterDark librarians.  I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank the AfterDark librarians for their hard work, dedication, and professionalism.  Neither late night hours, nor pranking teenagers could prevent you from helping tens of thousands of Ohioans find information online, anytime.  I have never worked with a more passionate, thoughtful and professional group of people, and I want to thank you for making my job as enjoyable as possible.  I was listening to the great Traveling Wilburys song End Of The Line<http://youtu.be/cwqhdRs4jyA> this week, and I thought it was a fitting song for our current situation.  Much like the Traveling Wilburys was a supergroup of musicians, The AfterDark Virtual Reference Service was a supergroup of librarians.  It has been my distinct pleasure to work with you all, thank you.

I wish the best of luck to our replacements.  May the State of Ohio continue to receive the same level of exceptional after hours service that they have come to expect.  You have some large shoes to fill.

Noah Himes
AfterDark Virtual Reference Service Coordinator
Northeast Ohio Regional Library System