[OPLINLIST] adult winter reading program

Shelley Bylica bylicash at oplin.org
Thu Nov 7 16:28:08 EST 2013

Hi Everyone,

This past summer, I posted a similar thread. I never publicly posted the
results from the few responses that I received. Here they are:

I had six responses to my question in regard to Winter Adult Reading
programs.

>From the responses I received, it seems that:

Rural community libraries with working to middle class levels of affluence
had the highest levels of participation.

Small town libraries with working to middle class levels of affluence - the
towns about the size of mine in Shelby - had average levels of
participation. I heard things like, "there were fewer people who registered,
but they read more and could better attend programs because they were not as
busy as they are in the summertime".

Urban libraries, suburban libraries or small town libraries that were rather
affluent had the lowest levels of participation.

Of the communities where Winter reading was successful, various comments
that I received were:

Our reading group has higher attendance in winter.

Our patrons seem to appreciate this more than a summer offering

We had fewer numbers, but the adult program not bolstered by Youth reading
program numbers, [so it is like comparing apples to oranges].

A couple ideas that worked:

Blind date w/ a book with personal ads with a wrapped up book. Prize is
dinner & movie for two around valentine's day.

Bingo (locate where in the library a book on______ is located) Win a home
cooked dinner made by a Friend of the Library. Read about a book a week.

QUESTION TO EVERYONE - Would you be more willing to comment on this topic if
a Survey monkey survey were created?

Thanks - and good luck to Jessica Troyer,

Shelley Bylica

Public Services Librarian

Marvin Memorial Library