[OPLINLIST] music cd circulation trends?

Ed Rossman erossman74 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 14:24:38 EDT 2014

I just took over the Music CD's in January, and don't have 5 years of tracking data handy. However, we've been experiencing a slight dip in figures compared to 2013.

One measure I took to boost circ was to create a "new music" form that lists the new additions to the catalog among the most popular genres. Patrons check off which ones they're interested in, mark their library card number and delivery location, and hand it off to a staff member who'll put the items on hold for them.

I tell patrons to use the form, because chances are that they'd find a new CD by Santana, Fast Eddie Clark or the Frozen soundtrack by just browsing the CD bins are pretty slim. Besides building circ, it's also a good discovery tool since they can see a variety of artists under Hip-Hop, R&B, Rock, Religious, etc.

Contact me off list if you'd like a copy of the form.
Regards,
Ed Rossman
erossman at shakerlibrary.org
Shaker Heights Public Library