[OPLINLIST] social events in the library

Anne Lowery loweryan at oplin.org
Thu Aug 28 13:39:30 EDT 2014

Since Mr Matthew Dyer decided to email and attack me for my previous
comments about
using the library as a venue for a wedding/funeral/etc and demand that I
apologize to
the greater library world for what he choose to interpret as an insult
to humanity...
Let me express my more serious thoughts on this matter.

Our policy doesn't specifically address social functions; but we do not
have a building that
has a kitchen facility or very much room for anything "social." We were
asked about a baby shower
a couple of years ago and we explained that we did not have facilities
conducive to serving food, etc.

Having said that, let me clarify this for the benefit of Mr. Dyer and
anybody else who chose to jump to
negative conclusions rather than open their minds a bit and think. I've
known people who have devoted
their lives to libraries for longer than my obnoxious old butt has
graced this earth. I've also known elderly
people, including my own mother - 30+ year volunteer with her Friends
group AFTER she was retired,
who speak often about their love of their library. All of the memories
they hold of special time in a safe
environment, surrounded by books and learning and possibilities.
If any one of those people came to me and asked if they could lie in
state in this building upon their death,
I'd find a way to make it happen. If my children's librarian or any
staff member wanted to lie in state surrounded
by the books that they've loved and the patrons they've served, you bet
I'd find a way to make it happen. If a young
staffer or patron wanted to tie the knot in the Romance section, we'd
make that happen too. Sometimes we get
caught up in the policies and rules and "way it's always been" and
forget about the people who make us matter.
Sometimes the right thing to do is just that. Now I realize for the
larger urban systems, you can't hire an event
coordinator to book your social events. But if somebody loved their
library THAT much, I would find a way
to accommodate them. Even if it was allowing a photograph session or a
ceremony on the front steps after
hours or SOMETHING to make their wish work.

So before you attack me, maybe you need to think a little bit about why
we do what we do and who we do it for
and save your righteous indignation for somebody who gives a damn what
you think.

--
Anne Lowery, MLIS
Director