[OPLINLIST] eRate News

Knapp, Mandy aknapp at library.ohio.gov
Mon Dec 15 11:02:00 EST 2014

Hi all,

I hope your day is going well. As you may know, there continue to be changes to the eRate Program. Lorrie Germann, the state eRate Coordinator wrote up some helpful points about changes passed last Thursday. I've attached her document to this email. In particular, here are some points you may find interesting:

*        Most importantly, an increase in the annual E-rate funding cap to $3.9 billion (roughly a $1.5 billion increase) as of FY 2015, with continued inflationary adjustments thereafter.

*        In FY2016, a requirement to be placed on carriers receiving high-cost Connect America funds in rural areas to provide service to schools and libraries in those areas at prices reasonably comparable to urban broadband prices.

*        An increase in the five-year Category 2 budget for large urban libraries (believed to be defined as those serving populations of 250,000 or more) from $2.30 to $5.00 per square foot.

  *   A change in the urban/rural definition, as proposed in certain petitions for reconsideration, to make urban clusters with populations under 25,000 "rural."  An estimated 92% of all urban clusters, previously considered "urban," meet the new rural definition.

The official order has yet to be released, but once it is we might have more information to share.

Take care,
[cid:image010.jpg at 01D01856.AAA182F0]
Mandy Knapp
Library Consultant
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614-466-1710
Toll Free:800-686-1532 (Ohio Only)
Fax: 614-466-3584
library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov>
[cid:image011.png at 01D01856.AAA182F0]<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOhio>  [Description: Twitter logo - links to the State Library of Ohio's Twitter page] <http://twitter.com/statelibohio>   [Description: Blog logo - Links to the State Library of Ohio's blog] <http://library.ohio.gov/blog/>   [cid:image013.png at 01D01856.AAA182F0] <http://pinterest.com/stlibohio/>
Share Your Story<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story> by telling us how a
State Library service or resource helped
you or your library.