[OPLINLIST] A Recap of Blocking Family Accounts

Mike Hensel henselmi at oplin.org
Fri Feb 14 17:29:09 EST 2014

OPLIN Libraries:

Thanks for everyone's response.  It's evident that many of our libraries are
facing similar situations with patron behaviors.  Many of you have tried to
curb bad behaviors by putting other policies in place.  Policies such as
keeping adults from using their child's card when their own is in default,
restricting DVD access to minors or having very low blocking points, such as
$1.00.

About 65% of the responses felt it was questionable to restrict patrons when
someone else in their family network was in default.  However, there were a
few that supported the policy of restricting service across the board when
default levels were surpassed.

After taking everyone's responses into consideration, our board passed a
policy that said family accounts will only be blocked, if one of the members
reaches our Collection Agency limit which is $50.  Initially, we were
looking at $10 being the blocking limit.   We feel the change will give our
families more room to work within, while setting a firmer stance on getting
accounts cleared up and stopping the abuse.

Thanks,

Mike Hensel

Director, MLIS

London Public Library