[OPLINLIST] Does the Shoe Fit?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed May 21 16:58:34 EDT 2014

Should you open a maker space in your library? That’s a lousy question.
It poses a solution before it even states the problem. It’s the problem
that’s worth discussing: What should your library be doing to meet your
community’s needs?

At yesterday’s Data-Driven Innovation session, Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz
and Tim Diamond shared some solutions from Cleveland Public Library and
invited us to ask some tough questions. There are questions you might
want to skip if you see a project succeed somewhere else or it’s just a
project you like. We can probably use some practice asking questions.

    What Questions?

Here are the questions we asked yesterday, restated so they could apply
to a potential future project.

 1. What is the community need this is supposed to meet?
 2. What other questions should be asked? (Who will use this, how much
    will it cost, which of the library’s needs will this meet?)
 3. What data should be gathered before choosing this solution?
    (Outcomes of similar projects at other libraries, available space or
    grant funding.)
 4. What conditions should be met before moving forward? (Funding in
    place, community partnerships, designating space.)
 5. If you go ahead with the project, what data would you want to
    capture to measure its performance? (Number of users, increased
    circulation or card-holders, number of joint projects with faculty.)

These questions often come up in conversation, where we talk about
audience or funding or how we could measure success. A big benefit of
documenting those conversations is that you don’t forget them.

These really are data questions, too, though there might not be that
many numbers involved. This is research that helps you discover which
version of an idea best fits your community or discover that the time
isn’t (yet) right for it.

- Nathan Swartzendruber, Technology Educator

    What Project?

SWON’s Maker Space Grant
<http://www.swonlibraries.org/Maker_Space_Grant> is putting up $2500
toward equipment for a maker space in one of SWON’s Supporting Member
libraries. What kind of maker space? That’s up to you.

Whether you want to install a 3D printer or sewing machines
<http://www.dezeen.com/2014/05/08/3d-printers-have-a-lot-to-learn-from-the-sewing-machine/>,
applications will be judged by your answers to questions like the ones
we asked yesterday. We want to help you make an impact; we want to know
what impact you expect, and if you’re the winner, what impact your maker
space actually has.

If you have questions about the grant or grant process, write or call
us. Call soon! The deadline for applications is May 31. Click here for
full details: http://www.swonlibraries.org/Maker_Space_Grant

    What is Personality Theory?

Personality Theory helps people identify how they operate. Do they
prefer a crowd or a few close friends? Do they make decisions based more
on the hard facts or on their intuition? Personality Theory doesn’t
place value judgments on the answers, but people do, so personality
tests ask indirect questions that help you learn about yourself and in
the process, about those around you.

A great place to get started with this is at SWON’s Level-Up Lab:
Introducing Personality Theory. Melanie will lead you through the
Myers-Briggs personality type indicator and help you learn how
personality theory can help you understand and manage conflict. Register
today: http://bit.ly/personality-type-lab

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *SWON Closed for Memorial Day* - (5/26/2014)
  * *Weeding: The Action
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=920>* -
    (5/22/2014) - Online
  * *Be a Great Boss
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=913>* -
    (5/22/2014) - Online
  * *3D Printers, Pens and Trends
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=910>* -
    (5/29/2014) - Online
  * *ALAO Instruction Interest Group Spring Workshop
    <http://www.alaoweb.org/events?eventId=871935&EventViewMode=EventDetails>*
    - (5/30/2014) - North Canton, OH
  * *Outreach Services (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2944>* -
    (5/30/2014) - PLCH, Main Branch
  * *Government Information Day: Navigating Patents, Trademarks & the US
    Census
    <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/government-information-day-navigating-patents-trademarks-the-us-census-tickets-11529913281>*
    - (6/2/2014) - NKU
  * *Shhh! Do You Hear What I Hear?
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2931>* -
    (6/3/2014) - Online
  * *Public Library Adult Program Planners Network (PLAPPN) SIG Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=890>* -
    (6/4/2014) - Boone County PL, Main Branch

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events