[OPLINLIST] Open Your Summer Planner

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed May 28 14:22:24 EDT 2014

It’s summer time, and for those of us not bracing for the Summer Reading Program torrent, it’s a time to take up projects we haven’t had time for until now.

Here at SWON, we’re migrating to a new website , which uses a different content management system and will give us (and you) a lot of new features. In the meantime, we’re taking webinars to learn about the system, testing new features, doing a complete content audit of our current website and rewriting and reorganizing pages for the new site. (Our whiteboard is getting a workout!)

With a project this big, with so many moving pieces, we need help keeping track of it all. So we set up an account at Asana , a project management platform that's free for teams of fewer than 15 people. In Asana, you can create tasks, assign them to people and track the group’s progress. Assign due date to tasks and they appear in a calendar view, too.

You can also create subtasks and assign subtasks to different folks, which concentrates a lot of information in a single place. This is great for tasks that involve multiple steps and people. Once you’ve set up a task’s subtasks and assignments, you can duplicate the whole set (which resets anything marked “done”) to use as a template the next time around.

If you’re looking for a project management tool that’s designed to work with groups , Asana is worth checking out.

    * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

We’re busy, but not too busy to help you .

Want a hand with one of your summer projects? We’re ready to travel to you to give your work a boost. Ask for one of our Level-Up Labs and we’ll be glad to present it to a group of staff or patrons or to a group of one.

As a formal workshop or informal chat, we can guide you through LinkedIn, email management, entry-level HTML, Twitter, Microsoft Publisher, “the Cloud” & online backup/sync services and more.

Supporting Members of SWON: we’ll come to you for free . Whatever your question, we’re glad to share what we know. Give us a call at (513) 751–4422 or email me at nathan at swonlibraries.org and we’ll see how we can help.
Level-Up Lab: Introducing Personality Theory

Learn about yourself and, in the process, about those around you at this June 9 event. In two hours, Melanie will lead you through the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator and help you learn how personality theory can help you understand and manage conflict. Register today: http://bit.ly/personality-type-lab
Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. ( Please register for online classes at least two days before they take place.)

    * 3D Printers, Pens and Trends - (5/29/2014) - Online
    * ALAO Instruction Interest Group Spring Workshop - (5/30/2014) - North Canton, OH
    * Outreach Services (SIG) Meeting - (5/30/2014) - PLCH, Main Branch
    * Government Information Day: Navigating Patents, Trademarks & the US Census - (6/2/2014) - NKU
    * Shhh! Do You Hear What I Hear? - (6/3/2014) - Online
    * Public Library Adult Program Planners Network (PLAPPN) SIG Meeting - (6/4/2014) - Boone County PL, Main Branch
    * Great Lakes Resource Sharing Conference - (6/5–6/6/2014) - Toledo, OH
    * Finding, Supervising, and Motivating Community Library Volunteers - (6/5/2014) - Online
    * SWON Executive Board Meeting - (6/6/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
    * Level-Up Lab: Introducing Personality Theory - (6/9/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
    * iPads and Tablets in Children’s Programming: A How To - (6/10/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click here: http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events