[OPLINLIST] VHS to DVD preservation

Tiana McKay tmckay at oplin.org
Wed Nov 26 15:57:40 EST 2014

Hello all, I am reporting my collaborative findings from an email survey sent out a week or so ago. The original email went like this:

"Our library has a collection of around 30 VHS tapes of local history that we would like to convert to DVDs. We are a small library with a small budget and are looking at prices comparable to the services at Walmart or CVS. So, I was wondering if any other library has good experience with a service or maybe purchased equipment to do that and how much it cost. Please reply to me off listserv and thanks for everyone's consideration."

Since that email, I have received responses from many different libraries--some in the same situation as mine. So here is a rundown on the products and services recommended grouped together based on options available:

1.) Ask local high school computer/technology class,  Cost = amount of DVDs
2.) Ask local community members,  Cost = amount of advertisement & DVDs
3.) Borrow converter box or DVD/VCR player, Cost = amount of DVDs

1.) Buy Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus converter box from Amazon.com, and borrow a computer and VHS player, Cost = $40.01 (free shipping) for converter box & amount of DVDs
2.) Buy Elgato Video Capture converter box from Amazon.com, and borrow a computer and VHS player, Cost = $79.99 (free shipping) & amount of DVDs
3.) Buy Magnavox DV225MG9 DVD Player and 4 Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR with Line-in Recording combo from Amazon.com, Cost = $359.00 new, $52.90 used + S/H & amount of DVDs

1.) Contract with Media Preserve at Preservation Technologies, Inc. in Pennsylvania @ http://www.ptlp.com/ (used and recommended by Worthington Library's Director of Technology Services), Their Cost was $20 per 30 minute video and $25 per 60 minute video
2.) Contract with Seltzer Productions, LLC in Dayton, OH @ http://www.seltzerproductions.com/bestfilmtransfer/index.html (used and recommended by someone from London Library), Cost was not specified from past experience but price quotes can be requested from the company

It seems our library will go the "borrow equipment" route first, since we have a small number of items needing converted. Good luck to everyone as libraries continue to preserve local history!

--
Tiana McKay (clerk)
Milton-Union Public Library