[OPLINLIST] input need on power outages

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Fri Oct 10 11:06:58 EDT 2014

If at all reasonably possible, I would stay open.
Do you have portions of the library that can be safely navigated using
just natural light from windows or the like?

Here about half of our building can be used safely during the daytime
without electric, the other half cannot.  In a power outage situation we
would evacuate the portion that has no windows (a basement level) and
when the public wants materials from that section, staff go to retrieve
the material using flash lights.  As nobody is cataloging, processing
ILLs or other useful things that require computers, there are usually
plenty of staff on hand to do this.

So, if it were me, unless the building is windowless and completely
un-usable without electric, I would stay open and close at dusk if the
outage persists into the evening.

Best of luck.

Joe

Joseph Knueven