[OPLINLIST] Storytime legalities in filming

Robin H. newsalemfarm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 15:54:13 EDT 2014

Our library has recently been contacted about filming some read-aloud sessions for local public access television. These storytimes would simply be a library staff member reading a children's book, plus some images of the book illustrations. This is in no way a money-making venture.

I know that "sampling" stories can fall under Fair Use guidelines, but this would be an entire book, plus graphics. Obviously, we could choose stories that are in the public domain, but we'd like to feature newer works as well.

Have any of you done this kind of filming? How did you obtain permission to use the books? Did you contact the author, the distributor, etc.? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Robin
Piqua Public Library
heintzro at oplin.org