[OPLINLIST] Smart Apps For Your Smartphone

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Sep 17 14:44:59 EDT 2014

Apple is releasing a new version of the iPhone’s operating system today,
iOS8. To celebrate this (I guess?) several of my favorite iPhone apps
have gone on sale.

    1Password - Free (iOS)

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8>1Password
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8&at=10l4Dq&ct=SWON>
(available for the iPhone and Android) creates and stores passwords for
you. Instead of trying to remember all your passwords, just memorize the
one password that logs you into this app, and 1Password remembers the rest.

If you have an iPhone 5S (or have pre-ordered an iPhone 6), you can use
the TouchID sensor to log in to 1Password without even entering the
password. Put your thumb on the sensor and it logs you in. iOS8 also
embeds 1Password into other apps, so you can use it in the Safari
browser without even opening 1Password.

It looks like 1Password is actually free because of a mistake on Apple’s
part, though this is difficult to confirm. Whether free or its normal
$10 price, it’s incredibly useful.

    Fantastical - $4.99

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2-for-iphone-calendar/id718043190?mt=8>Fantastical
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2-for-iphone-calendar/id718043190?mt=8&at=10l4Dq&ct=SWON>
is a calendar app that connects to any calendar that’s set up on your
device, including Google, Outlook and iCloud calendars. Usually priced
at $9.99, it’s $4.99 today.

When creating a new calendar entry in Fantastical, there’s no need to
enter the day, time, location or other details into separate fields.
Instead, the app uses natural language processing. Type in, “Lunch with
Dad at Taco Plaza on Friday at noon,” and it creates an event on Friday
from 12 to 1pm.

The app shows a monthly calendar and a list of upcoming events at once.
Scroll through the list, and the calendar advances to the next month
with the list. Connect multiple calendars and Fantastical color-codes
them so you can tell them apart. Rotate your phone sideways to see a
5-day hour-by-hour view.

For an alternative, Calendars 5
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calendars-5-smart-calendar/id697927927?mt=8&at=10l4Dq&ct=SWON>
($6.99) is a calendar app that shares a lot of Fantastical’s features,
including the natural language processing. I find it more difficult to
navigate through events, but it has an obvious plus. When you type in
the name of a location, like a restaurant, it retrieves nearby matches
and adds the location and its address to the event.

If I look back, I use these apps every day I’m at work. An easy-to-use
calendar and quick access to all my passwords helps me keep focused on
other work, like writing final instructions for my Mapmaking session at
Monday’s Summer Reading Program workshop.

    Learn more about apps–and how to have a positive performance
    review–at the upcoming Staff Training Symposium

*Early Bird pricing ends Friday!* Plan now to join us at the Main Branch
of the Boone County Public Library for a full day of sessions, including
an hour-long break-out on smartphone apps, with Mary Chesnut, Library
Informatics Professor at NKU.

Register today: http://bit.ly/2014sts

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Flexible Leadership: How to Navigate the Waters of Changing
    Libraries
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=465936&group=>* -
    (9/18/2014) - Online
  * *6 Aspects of a Great L.E.A.D.E.R.
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=465375&group=>* -
    (9/18/2014) - Online
  * *Personnel Issues (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=437508&group=>* -
    (9/19/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * */Summer Reading Workshop 2015 - Heroes
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=442469&group=>/*
    - (9/22/2014) - Lane PL Admin Center
  * *Adult Planning and Services (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=437522&group=>* -
    (9/22/2014) - Washington-Centerville PL
  * Level-Up Lab: Leading in a Collaborative Environment
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=484315&group=>
    - (10/1/2014) - SWON Meeting Room

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events