[OPLINLIST] Ohio NACO Funnel participation: gauging interest for 2015

MCCUTCHEON, SEVIM lmccutch at kent.edu
Tue Jan 6 09:57:21 EST 2015

Please forward this message to whomever in Ohio you think might be interested.

Have you ever wanted to create and share name authority records but didn't know how to get started?
Did you or your library create name authority records in the past using AACR2, but need assistance in switching to doing so using RDA?

Then participation in the Ohio NACO Funnel may be right for you!
In a Funnel,
*       A group of libraries join together to contribute name authority records, personal or corporate (NARs) to the national authority file (Library of Congress/NACO)
*       Funnel participants create records in modest numbers, and consolidate their efforts to make a more significant contribution in terms of quantity
*       A funnel is usually coordinated by one person or institution.  Coordinators are responsible for training and reviewing
*       Beyond the support of the catalogers' institution for the cataloger's time and effort on this endeavor, the cost is free to participants.
*       Ideally, catalogers in a Funnel have access to RDA Toolkit and Cataloger's Desktop
*       See also "Frequently asked questions about Funnel Projects," http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/funnelfaq.html

My colleague Roman Panchyshyn and I became coordinators of the Ohio NACO Funnel in 2013, about the same time as the switch to making all new authority records in RDA.
The first all-day training session we offered took place in November 2013, and included 10 catalogers from 6 northeast Ohio libraries: public, academic, and special.
We are writing now to ascertain interest from Ohio libraries that aren't currently participating, with the thought of providing more training to new participants in other parts of the state in 2015.

Please let me know if you'd like to explore this activity.

(Ms.) Sevim McCutcheon
Catalog Librarian; Assoc. Prof.
Kent State University Libraries
330-672-1703