[OPLINLIST] OHIONET’s 2015 Training kicks off on Tuesday (1/13/15) with the Fundamentals of Cataloging--ONLINE!

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Thu Jan 8 12:30:59 EST 2015

*Please excuse cross-postings.*

The winter wind is raging outside, bringing snow and ice and bitter cold.
Stay warm and dry and update your skills with OHIONET’s online training
offerings.  We’ll be covering a wide variety of topics in 2015: from
cataloging how-tos, to digitization tips, to reference skills.  Check out
these options!

Cataloging & Metadata
Last summer, OHIONET relaunched our long-running training series,
Fundamentals of Cataloging, with a new format, a new instructor, and new
content--including advice on how to handle the changes RDA has brought to
our workflows.  Beginning on Tuesday, Jan. 13th, we will be offering an
online version of these sessions, through weekly two-hour webinars,
complete with dedicated practice and searching time, brief quizzes, and
other learning engagement opportunities.  *Please note*--the sessions in
each series build upon each other.  We STRONGLY encourage registrants to
sign-up for all sessions in each series that interests them.

Introduction and Basic Description (3 sessions), 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM on each
date
Session 1--Jan. 13th, Cataloging Overview--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=243> to register.
Session 2--Jan. 20th, Meet MARC--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=244> to register.
Session 3--Jan. 27th, RDA vs. AACR2--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=245> to register.

Serials (3 sessions), 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM on each date
Session 1--Feb. 3rd, Serials Cataloging Overview--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=246> to register.
Session 2--Feb. 10th, MARC for Serials--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=249> to register.
Session 3--Feb. 17th, RDA vs. AACR2 for Serials--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=248> to register.

Common AV Formats (4 sessions), 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM on each date
Session 1--Feb. 24th, AV Cataloging Overview--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=250> to register.
Session 2--Mar. 3rd, MARC for Common AV Materials--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=252&reset=1> to register.
Session 3--Mar. 10th, RDA vs. AACR2 for DVDs & digital video--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=253&reset=1> to register.
Session 4--Mar. 17th, RDA vs. AACR2 for CDs & digital audio--CLICK HERE
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=254&reset=1> to register.

In-person sessions of Fundamentals of Cataloging are still going on, too!
Check out the *OHIONET Training Calendar*
<http://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for available topics and dates.

Digitization Dos and Don’ts
Join OHIONET’s own Tony Bandy as he shares some basic tips on how and what
you should start with when considering a digitization project.  We’ll talk
about how a little planning now can save you time (and headaches!) later.

The Digitization Game: Where Do We Start?
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=239&reset=1>Wednesday, Jan.
14th, 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
CLICK HERE <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=239&reset=1> to
sign up now!

Reference Refreshers
Get tips on resources and techniques to help you rock the reference desk.
We are pleased to have Dr. Miriam Kahn on our Training Calendar covering
topics ranging from reader’s advisory recommendations to navigating numbers
online to OPAC and database searching tips.  Join us for our first session
in her series on Wednesday, Jan. 21st!

Reader’s Advisory: Get Started with Online Tools and Resources
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=240>Wednesday, Jan.
21st, 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM
CLICK HERE <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=240> to
sign up now!

REMEMBER:  Employees of Premium Level OHIONET members can attend OHIONET’s
in-house webinars and workshops for free.  Not sure what membership level
your library maintains?  Contact us <ohionet at ohionet.org>--we’re happy to
help.

To check out all our current CE options, CLICK HERE
<https://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for the OHIONET Training
Calendar.

If you have questions <shellym at ohionet.org> about or suggestions
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s7iXT9AwEfaVt4cjUF5RA4SHR4ixOGM1_HVdArx7maw/viewform>
for OHIONET's CE offerings, don't hesitate to contact me.

Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator
OHIONET
 1500 West Lane Avenue