[OPLINLIST] Experience + Learning

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Tue Jun 9 13:31:51 EDT 2015

Hands-on learning, these days often called /experiential learning/, is a
big deal at SWON. We have a whole series of workshops, our Level-Up
Labs, that put it at the center. For some topics, hands-on learning is
an easy fit. Take HTML. When you're writing the code, you see the
practical results of your work. If you forget to put in a slash, you can
see your entire page can become one long link. You need to practice it.

As practical as this kind of experiential learning is, it can also be
attractive because it's pretty private. You're the only one looking at
your screen. If you goof, you're the only one to see it unless you call
the instructor over. That can make your learning experience less risky,
but isolated learning has its drawbacks. You might miss the chance to
ask a question or hear a suggestion.

The stakes can feel higher when the topic requires your learning
experience to be public. That might include role-plays---/"You be the
hotel manager"/---but also group activities where your learning process
is visible to those around you. Those higher stakes present
opportunities. When you volunteer, it can be your marketing puzzle the
group tries to solve or your customer service issue the group helps
navigate.

*Libraries provide instruction all the time.* When you're the one
teaching, *make it your mission to include an experiential learning
component.* It's also your job to *make your learning environment
constructive and protected so that people feel free to participate, even
when they're on the spot.*

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Supervisor Training goes on the road

SWON is planning a series of Supervisor Training Labs for the fall that
will be held at several sites around our region. You can expect to find
experiential learning components in each of these. If you're interested
in hosting supervisor training at your library, contact Melanie at
melanie at swonlibraries.org <mailto:melanie at swonlibraries.org>.

In the meantime, SWON's previous Level-Up Labs are ready to travel! If
you'd like a two-hour, hands-on workshop on Personality Theory for
Supervisors/Managers
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=455958> or Dealing
with Conflict
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=484350>, we're
ready to schedule them with you. Our Level-Up Lab page
<http://swonlibraries.org/?page=level_up_labs> also lists
technology-related Labs. Ready to learn more? We're ready to bring a
learning experience to you!

    Coming up on the calendar
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp>

  * *Level-Up Lab: Website Usability Testing
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=599104&group=>*
    June 10, 2015 - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Weeding 101: What to Keep, What to Toss, What to Replace
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=612278&group=>*
    June 11, 2015 - Online
  * *CLEAR Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=509740&group=>*
    June 11, 2015 - Kenton County Public Library, Covington Branch
  * *CLEAR Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=510051&group=>*
    June 11, 2015 - SWON Libraries Meeting Room
  * *SWON Executive Board Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=645387&group=>*
    June 16, 2015 - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Library Love for Library Reads
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=647039&group=>*
    June 16, 2015 - Online
  * *Engaging the Volunteer of the Future
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=634141&group=>*
    June 17, 2015 - Online
  * *A Day for Adult Services
    <http://host2.evanced.info/norweld/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=610>*
    June 18, 2015 - Edison College, Piqua, Ohio