[OPLINLIST] How Genre/Form is handled in library OPACs

MCCUTCHEON, SEVIM lmccutch at kent.edu
Wed Jun 17 08:46:17 EDT 2015

Folks,

My lead GSA Laurence and I are on a working group to plan for implementing Genre/Form (MARC field 655) in our catalog.
If libraries who have done this already or are working on it would kindly answer the questions below, we’d be grateful to learn from your experiences.
Laurence’s email: Lskirvin at kent.edu<mailto:Lskirvin at kent.edu>
My email: Lmccutch at kent.edu<mailto:Lmccutch at kent.edu>

Thank you,

(Ms.) Sevim McCutcheon
Catalog Librarian; Assoc. Prof.
Kent State University Libraries
330-672-1703
Lmccutch at kent.edu

Librarians,
Kent State University is investigating implementing genre/form and are investigating how other libraries have done this.
If you’ve implemented genre/form and have the time to answer some questions, we would appreciate it:
1.      Do you index genre/form only in a separate index, only within a subject index, or both (or something else we haven’t thought of)?
2.      Do you index them as keyword?
3.      How do you provide for genre/form searching?  For example, in the public view, is genre/form its own tab, or is it in a drop-down menu?  Or is included with something else?
4.      Would you please provide a URL of your catalog so that we can see how you presented genre/form as a searching option for patrons?
5.      Do you have any tips or advice about steps for implementing genre/form?  Anything you wish you had done differently?
6.      If you’re willing to be contacted with follow-up questions, please provide contact information.
I will summarize responses for the list.

Thank you.

Laurence Skirvin
Lead Cataloging GSA
Kent State University