[OPLINLIST] Third week of compromised email

Bill Hardison bhardison at norweld.org
Tue Mar 3 10:49:56 EST 2015

Stephen, thanks for the reminder.

Also, if you use a common password (like library or director or librarian)
and a peer or co-worker is using it as well and falls for these phishing
deals, you're compromised as well.

According to GIZMODO here are the top 25 most popular (not worst but used)
passwords of 2014

   1. 123456 (Unchanged)
   2. password (Unchanged)
   3. 12345 (Up 17)
   4. 12345678 (Down 1)
   5. qwerty (Down 1)
   6. 123456789 (Unchanged)
   7. 1234 (Up 9)
   8. baseball (New)
   9. dragon (New)
   10. football (New)

For all 25 top passwords http://bit.ly/1J3pGRT

Here is an OLD but still valid article on passwords.
http://www.garykessler.net/library/password.html

Here are some highlights:

   - *Don't* use your login or user name in any form (as-is, reversed,
   capitalized, doubled, etc.)
   - *Don't* use your first, middle, or last name in any form.
   - *Don't* use your spouse's, significant other's, children's, friend's,
   or pet's name in any form.
   - *Don't* use other information easily obtained about you, including
   your date of birth, license plate number, telephone number, social security
   number, make of your automobile, house address, etc.
   - *Don't* use a password of all digits or all the same letter.
   - *Don't* use a word contained in English or foreign language
   dictionaries, spelling lists, acronym or abbreviation lists, or other lists
   of words.
   (such as 'library' 'director' or 'librarian')
   - *Don't* use a password containing fewer than six characters.
   - *Don't* give your password to another person for any reason.

   - *Do* use a password with mixed-case characters (where supported).
   - *Do *use a password containing non-alphabetic characters (digits
   and/or punctuation)
   - *Do *use a password that is easy to remember, so that you don't need
   to write it down.
   - *Do *use a password that you can type quickly, without having to look
   at the keyboard.

And here is why:

How long would it take to crack my password: *(Includes letters and numbers
only, no upper- or lower-case and no symbols)*

*6 characters: 2.25 billion possible combinations*

   - Cracking online using web app hitting a target site with one thousand
   guesses per second: 3.7 weeks.
   - Cracking offline using high-powered servers or desktops (one hundred
   billion guesses/second): 0.0224 seconds
   - Cracking offline, using massively parallel multiprocessing clusters or
   grid (one hundred trillion guesses per second: 0.0000224 seconds

So the password 'library' would take someone at home with a high-powered
desktop about 1/40th of a second to crack the password "library" Or, as
some sites call it INSTANTLY.

For more data http://bit.ly/1BD2ecx

Bill

*Bill Hardison*
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)
419-352-2903
*IM with Google Hangouts*

*You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.*
Miracle Max: The Princess Bride (1987)

*This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and
thusmay be publicly available to anyone who requests it.*

--

*Bill,*

Bill Hardison
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)
419-352-2903
*Yahoo IM - TechnobraryGeek*