[OPLINLIST] Update on OPLIN mail

Karl Jendretzky karljendretzky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:25:54 EDT 2015

All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the work on recovering lost
mail is ongoing. Though the Zimbra server couldn't be made to function
as a mail server again, the mail itself is sitting safely inside our
backup data. The trick is that without the Zimbra server to access
that backup data, it's basically a massive stack of flat text mail
files associated with no one in particular.

Earlier this week I wrote some software to read in header information
from each email, and then copy/sort the mails into folders,
specifically a Maildir format in hopes that I can overlay a Dovecot
pop3 server on the file structure for easy downloading. The software
has been running for almost 48 hours furiously sorting mail, and I
expect that starting next week I'll have a sorted message store.

With the stack of messages sorted, my next step is figuring out the
bet way to get everyone's mail back to them.

Here's hoping for a quieter Friday than last week.

Karl Jendretzky
IT Manager - Ohio Public Library Information Network
(614) 728-1515
karl at oplin.org