[OPLINLIST] email retention policy

Klettlinger, Katy kklettlinger at library.ohio.gov
Thu May 28 18:50:47 EDT 2015

Hi Liz,

Email retention has been a popular topic in records management for local governments in Ohio.  Ideally, emails should not be thought of as a  records series (a set a documents) because email is a delivery method for sending information.  The content of emails are commonly correspondence and the other types of documents you place in them as attachments.  Some institutions still place email as a records series in their retention schedules because the public has the perception that email is a type of record.

Since the content of emails can vary widely, you can set either a retention period based on how long the email will be retained in your system and state that emails of long-term value will be printed out and retained or you can guide the person reviewing your retention schedule to "refer to correspondence" and follow that retention period since the majority of emails are correspondence.  In my past position as a county records manager, I had the emails treated like correspondence on our retention schedule until our IT department created an email vault.  When that happened we retained the emails for 18 months and encouraged county departments to print off select emails that they believed they would be needed beyond that period of time.

Ultimately, your legal counsel should be consulted in regards to your decision because if a snafu ever comes up regarding emails they will who supports you.

I hope this helps!

~Katy

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE35C3.A699DF80]
Katy Klettlinger
Library Consultant
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614-995-0033
Fax: 614-466-3584
library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov/>
[Description: Facebook logo - links to the State LIbrary of Ohio's facebook page]<http://www.facebook.com/people/StateLibraryof-Ohio/100000063363765>  [Description: Twitter logo - links to the State Library of Ohio's Twitter page] <http://twitter.com/statelibohio>   [Description: Blog logo - Links to the State Library of Ohio's blog] <http://library.ohio.gov/blog/>   [cid:image005.png at 01CE35C3.A699DF80] <http://pinterest.com/stlibohio/>
Share Your Story<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story> by telling us how a
State Library service or resource helped
you or your library.