[OPLINLIST] EBSCO Explora changes

Stephen Hedges stephen at oplin.ohio.gov
Tue Oct 20 11:19:18 EDT 2015

When I talked to the EBSCO folks at the OLC Convention, I learned that the
new Explora interface actually comes in three flavors: one for public
library users, one for primary school (K-5) students and teachers, and one
for secondary school (6-12) students and teachers. The point of all three
is to pre-select EBSCO databases for searching/browsing so the user does
not have to go through the EBSCOhost "Choose Databases" screen. (And the
interface is also prettier than EBSCOhost.) The fact that the Kids Search,
Searchasaurus, and Student Research Center interfaces are being
discontinued at the same time that Explora is being released is a
coincidence; Explora is not intended to just replace those three
discontinued interfaces.

Accordingly, we have renamed the previous statewide "Explora" interface to
"Explora Public Libraries" and added interfaces named "Explora Primary
Schools" and "Explora Secondary Schools." These three interfaces now appear
on our EBSCO landing page at http://ohioweblibrary/ebsco and also have
direct links listed below:

http://ohioweblibrary.org/db/ebsco-explora
http://ohioweblibrary.org/db/ebsco-explora-primary
http://ohioweblibrary.org/db/ebsco-explora-secondary

Attached is a spreadsheet detailing which EBSCO databases are searched in
each interface. The greyed-out databases at the bottom of the list are not
compatible with Explora searching and must be accessed through the
EBSCOhost interface.

If your library purchases other EBSCO databases and wants to customize its
own Explora interface to search them, too, the list of databases that are
compatible with Explora searching can be found at
http://support.ebsco.com/knowledge_base/detail.php?topic=996&id=7517.

Reminder -- EBSCO is providing four training webinars for using Explora:

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 from 9:30 – 10:10 am
https://ebscotraining.webex.com/ebscotraining/k2/j.php?MTID=t497a70654776cf95dd05dca25c3f26c1

Thursday, October 29, 2015 from 1:00 – 1:40 pm
https://ebscotraining.webex.com/ebscotraining/k2/j.php?MTID=tb7aba00d37858cf0b4740d6d029dd23b

Friday, November 6, 2015 from 10:00 – 10:40 am
https://ebscotraining.webex.com/ebscotraining/k2/j.php?MTID=tbff9aa20b59072d7d71d01c223f00b9c

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 from 2:30 – 3:10 pm
https://ebscotraining.webex.com/ebscotraining/k2/j.php?MTID=tec5f8489a7fdeafc019fb1c006dfcfb2

Stephen
--
Stephen Hedges
Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network