[OPLINLIST] Make early childhood literacy accessible

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Oct 29 12:44:05 EDT 2015

SWON Libraries

SWON Libraries // Weekly

At Saroj's /Strengthening STEM in Everyday Storytime
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D636642>/
yesterday, she impressed on us the importance of early childhood
literacy and reminded us of the huge amount of research
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eearlylit%2Enet%2Fearly%2Dliteracy%2Dresearch%2F>
and variety of activities available
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eearlylit%2Enet%2Fhandouts%2Dand%2Dactivities%2F>
to support early childhood literacy.

We have two young boys at home, ages 4 and 1, and hearing these ideas
gets me excited to try new things with them. These activities aren't
difficult, and lots of them are related to what we already do with the
boys. To hear that this is effective, we're on the right track—and to
hear that from an early literacy professional—is really encouraging.

And parents can use some encouragement. "How many times a month does a
parent get a pat on the back for good parenting?" asks Saroj. "Zero to
maybe one-half," she answers. That sounds accurate. And even if you
think you're doing a good job of reading a story or talking about what
you're seeing, that's easy to doubt when your child appears to be
thoroughly distracted.

That's why I love the "Stretching Language toddler" video
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeverychildreadytoread%2Eorg%2Fpresentation%2Dvideo%2Dclips>
from Every Child Ready to Read, which Saroj showed during the day.

Baby smells an onion
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeverychildreadytoread%2Eorg%2Fpresentation%2Dvideo%2Dclips>
Baby smells an onion

The dad introduces the food he's cooking with like he's a guest host on
Julia and Jacques
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epbs%2Eorg%2Ffood%2Fshows%2Fjulia%2Dand%2Djacques%2Dcooking%2Dat%2Dhome%2F>.
He confidently tells the baby that eggplant is often used when cooking
Italian food, and that eggplant is a little squishy (and offers it to
babby
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter%2Ecom%2FBabbyTips%2Fstatus%2F594632294469599232>
to feel). Babby waves his babby fists and makes silly faces, and we're
shown that that response is fine!

Libraries are full of early childhood literacy professionals, /but your
communities don't know it./ They confuse storytime with entertainment
while they try to fit in just one adult conversation that day, even if
it's on their smartphone. Don't wait for parents to recognize your
expertise. Get proactive and offer early childhood literacy tips. Be
encouraging and use specific examples that model what parents should do.

Social media is a great platform for this, since you can send a brief
message to a broad audience. Share a picture of simple shapes and
explain, "When children learn shapes, it helps them recognize the shapes
of letters, later on. Help them learn shapes, and you're helping them
along the path toward reading." That's a message I'd be glad to read,
and share.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

        SWON's Fall Membership Meeting

At SWON's Fall Membership Meeting, we'll hear Kim Fender and Greg
Edwards talk about innovations the Public Library of Cincinnati and
Hamilton County is putting into practice. A great example is the new
Reading Branch, where the meeting will be held, which trades circulation
and reference desks for roaming librarians. Changes like these can seem
out of reach in various ways, but this talk is designed to show how you
can implement them, whatever your library's size or budget. You'll have
lots of opportunities to ask questions, as well.

As always, Membership Meetings are where you can hear more about where
SWON has been working and what we plan to accomplish in the future.
Everyone is welcome to attend. Please join us on December 1st for SWON's
Membership Meeting

   Register Now
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D668356%26>

        Coming up on the calendar
        <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Flist%2Easp>

/Please register for online classes at least two days before they take
place./

  * *Best Practices in Organizing and Running Computer Training Sessions
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D672218>*
    November 3, 2015 - Online
  * *ROYAL Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D517340>*
    November 4, 2015 - Campbell County Public Library, Newport Branch
  * *Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana (OKI) Children's Literature Conference
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D674517>*
    November 6, 2015 - Thomas Moore College
  * *The Patron Loyalty Program: Inviting Incentives to Engage Library
    Patrons
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D672328>*
    November 10, 2015 - Online
  * *ROYAL Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D510092>*
    November 10, 2015 - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Innovation Conversations: DevCamp with Nate Stone of Denver Public
    Library
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D690279>*
    November 12, 2015 - Online
  * *CLEAR Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D693242>*
    November 12, 2015 - Bradford Public Library

Follow us on Twitter
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter%2Ecom%2Fswonlibraries>
	Visit us on Facebook
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=info@swonlibraries.org&job=2125486&ymlink=4230456&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2FSWONLibraries>