[OPLINLIST] Thank you- Magazine holding policies

Fauber, Amy faubera at limalibrary.com
Sat Apr 30 13:13:27 EDT 2016

I just want to thank everyone who offered information about their
library's magazine holding policies. Here are the results for anyone who
is curious:

How long do you keep magazines/periodicals for:

Current year- 4 libraries

Current year + 1 additional- 5 libraries

Current year +2 additional- 1 library

Current year +3 additional- 1 library

Here are a few highlights of the additional information I received:

*A few libraries kept an extra year's worth if the magazine was only
quarterly or bimonthly.
*I may want to keep Consumer Reports for 3 years due to the rotation of
review subjects they use.
* "We determined which magazines might be of continued interest to
patrons and we assign them a call number based on their area. Then we
put them in magazine holders in the non-fiction stacks close to the call
number we have assigned to them. It has increased our magazine
circulation. The titles we chose for this are on various non-fiction
topics such as gardening, farming, crafts, home improvement, health,
business, etc."

I hope this info is useful to somebody and thanks again for all the
help!

Amy Riegle Fauber
Lima Public Library
650 W. Market St.