[OPLINLIST] AV systems for meeting rooms

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Thu Jan 28 09:06:30 EST 2016

We're going to be installing AV equipment in our two meeting rooms and
our children's program room. Could you help me with a few questions,
based on what you have in your library and/or equipment you know of?

1. We would like to have some audio equipment installed that would work
with cordless microphones as well as other input like a computer or a
Blu-Ray player. A vendor has suggested some standard PA equipment (Bogen
GS60 amp and HFCS1 speakers) that I think would do most of what we want,
but I wonder if we should try to get something that would do standard PA
stuff (take microphone input, auto-mute when building-wide pages come
through) plus give us theater-like sound, perhaps with a subwoofer and
at least 5.1 surround sound, for when we show movies or perhaps even for
games. We don't show movies often, though we've had a license to in the
past and we might again in the future. I'd be interested to know what
kind of sound systems other libraries have, and if you get good quality
sound from movies with a standard PA system?

2. I want to make it as easy as possible for staff to stream content or
mirror the screen from computers, tablets, etc. I had thought about
getting Apple TVs and using AirPlay, but Airtame ( https://airtame.com/
) also seems very good. Do you have any comments on these or anything
similar?

3. We're planning to have ceiling-mounted projectors (and a TV in the
children's room, which has windows). I'm considering getting an HDMI
switch to switch between inputs (at least, between the Blu-Ray player
and the AppleTV or Airtame). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Here are the dimensions of our meeting rooms:

The Sutliff Room is 42' x 29', and it can be divided in two (29 x 26 and
29 x 16). When it's divided, I think we'll want sound in just the larger
part. The ceiling is 8' 4" high.

The Graffe Room (children's) will be 46 x 27, and will be able to be
divided in half (23 x 27 and 23 x 27). When it's divided, I think we'll
want sound in only one part. The ceiling will be between 8' and 8' 2" high.

The smallest room (the Chambers Room) is 20' 8" x 20' 8". The ceiling is
8' 4" high.

Phil
--
Phil Shirley