[OPLINLIST] Fine Free Questions

Kerry Reed KerryReed at newtonfalls.org
Mon Nov 14 13:51:11 EST 2016

Greetings,

I am currently researching the pros and cons of instituting a "fine free" library policy.  I am seeking guidance from those who are fine free (overdue material only) or who are currently contemplating the change and hoping I could have some feedback on some or all of the following questions:

1)      Has your percentage of collection checked out increased or decreased after the policy was implemented?

2)      Have you noticed an increase in overdue materials (notices processed/outstanding items)?

3)      Have your patrons responded positively to the change?

4)      Are patrons complaining (in comparison to before the policy was implemented) about popular materials being checked out too long because they are overdue and they feel there is no incentive to return said overdue materials?

5)      Do you feel that the implementation of a fine free policy has allowed a small or large number of delinquent card holders a chance to actively use the library without becoming delinquent again by not returning items?

6)      How did your Board of Trustees handle the transition? Did the Board of Trustees adopt a resolution waiving previous fines for overdue materials at the beginning of the program or were patrons still responsible for fines pre-dating the new rule?  Any help on how this transition was made by your Library Board would be useful.

7)      I can guess many reasons on why staff, patrons and Trustees could/would be opposed to implementing a fine free library policy.  Did negativity by said parties towards the policy decrease/increase after implemented?

Any other opinions or observances would be welcomed.  Please feel free to email me at kerryreed at newtonfalls.org<mailto:kerryreed at newtonfalls.org>

Thank you for your time in advance!

Sincerely,
Kerry Reed, Director