[OPLINLIST] 5 things you can do today to prepare for DPLA

Mandy Knapp via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Tue Apr 11 11:49:33 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I hope this day is finding you well. I know you’re as excited as I am
about the Ohio Digital Network, Digital Public Library of America
(DPLA)’s service hub. As you may know, the Digital Public Library of
America (DPLA) is a portal for finding digitized photographs, books,
maps and other items from across the United States. Items appear in the
collection through a process called metadata harvesting, where
descriptions of the digitized items are gathered and organized. The Ohio
Digital Network is the group of libraries, historical societies and
museums in our state whose metadata will be harvested.

As a community engagement center for public libraries, OPLIN is here to
assist you with trainings and information to learn about this exciting
opportunity. Be on the lookout for more training opportunities soon!

But until then, here are five things that you can do today to prepare
for the DPLA:

1.Visit the DPLA website <https://dp.la/> to search the collection, to
view online exhibits <https://dp.la/exhibitions>, and browse the
timeline <https://dp.la/timeline>.

Ohio Digital Network listserv for updates.

3.Mark your calendar for Monday May 1th from 2-3pm for a thorough
introduction to the Ohio Digital Network, including a timeline. No need
to register, just remember this link:
https://ohlibrary.adobeconnect.com/dpla-odn/
<https://ohlibrary.adobeconnect.com/dpla-odn/>. The webinar will be
recorded for viewing later.

4.Review the online training
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPlAf3Poag-u0bxMScG-8hZovRmm-syUW>
from DPLA. Included in these are tutorials on using the DPLA for
genealogy
<https://youtu.be/-8az9jEobu8?list=PLPlAf3Poag-u0bxMScG-8hZovRmm-syUW>
as well as teaching
<https://youtu.be/9KdqfH2t1YY?list=PLPlAf3Poag-u0bxMScG-8hZovRmm-syUW>.

5.    Stay tuned for training on digitization, introductions to
metadata, readying metadata for harvest and much more.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have at this time.

Best,

--

Mandy Knapp
Digital Resources Manager