[OPLINLIST] OhioNET's Reference Skills & Resources series returns for 2017!

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Mon Jan 23 10:18:59 EST 2017

Please excuse cross-postings.

OhioNET's popular CE series, Reference Skills & Resources, returns to our Training Calendar in 2017 with topics both new (Working with Wikipedia) and old (Unpacking Citations).  We'll again feature useful tools (freely available, whenever possible) to help you help your patrons solve their information problems.  In addition to basic resource descriptions and demonstrations, our sessions include suggestions for alternative information applications, like outreach through community-based projects, and advice on where to find supplementary materials, like lesson-plans or case-studies. Check out these upcoming sessions in this series.

JUST ADDED-Working with Wikipedia: Utilizing the Online Encyclopedia as a Valuable Tool to Serve Your Patrons and the World<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=406&reset=1>
Wikipedia has remained one of the most widely used websites for years, and many of us (both fans and foes) deal with this tool on a daily basis.  Come learn more about the strengths, weaknesses, and creative applications for the famous online encyclopedia-like creating a local community of contributors-in our newly scheduled session.
Thursday, March 30th, from 3 PM to 4 PM
Presenter: Don Boozer (General Reference Collections Manager), Cleveland Public Library

Find and Use Historical Census Data to Bring the Past to Life<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=384&reset=1>
Did you know that a rich collection of historical data is just a few clicks away--from resources like the U.S. Census Bureau, Social Explorer and other online tool.  Our discussion will focus on how to access and assess this wealth historical census information.
Wednesday, February 15th, from 3 PM to 4 PM
Presenter: Dr. Miriam Kahn, MBK Consulting

Unpacking Citations<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=385&reset=1>
Join us to refresh your knowledge on traditional citation structures, (including those associated with genealogical or archival work), discover online sources to help you and your users answer questions about a variety of citation formats, and learn about the power of citation databases to help identify commonly cited sources.
Thursday, March 16th, from 3 PM to 4 PM
Presenter: Dr. Miriam Kahn, MBK Consulting

Can't make it during the scheduled time?  You'll still have access to our content.  Everyone who registers will automatically receive a link to view the archived recording of our session for later viewing.

Don't forget!  Employees of Premium Level OhioNET members can attend almost all of our in-house workshops or webinars at no charge.  Not sure what membership level your library maintains? Select your employer from the Organization list on the registration page and your member level will automatically be populated on the form.

Looking for more CE?  Head to our Training Calendar<http://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for a full listing of all our upcoming events.

If you find yourself with questions about these or any of OhioNET's other CE offerings, please don't hesitate to contact...
Shelly S. Miller  |  Community and Training Manager
OhioNET | 1500 West Lane Avenue | Columbus, OH 43221-3975
(800) 686-8975 x37  |  shellym at ohionet.org<mailto:shellym at ohionet.org>