[OPLINLIST] Teen Cards

Nicholas Slone sloneni at adamscolibrary.org
Tue Jan 24 13:41:35 EST 2017

In Adams County, we recently created a limited child card, in an effort
to get all students, K-12 registered for a library card. Checkouts of
physical items are limited to 5 books at a time only, but that does
include books on CD. Our rules are slightly different, but I stole this
idea from Cincinnati Public Library after seeing Kim Fender present
about it at a SWON meeting.

We had already done away with all juvenile fines, and just extended that
to all patrons. Under our fine free policy, when there are 3 or more
items overdue, the patron cannot check out any additional items. We're
still in the process of getting to all of the schools, but began by
contacting each school and requesting class lists for all students. A
card is then created for each student, whether they already have an
existing card or not. This streamlines the process and allows us to make
sure each child has a card. I drafted a letter to go home with
parents/legal guardians, indicating the rules for the cards, along with
information about upgrading the cards to full privilege cards by signing
for responsibility or having the card merged with their existing card.

Last year, we had already changed policy to allow anyone, regardless of
fines/lost item fees, use the public computers. Our thinking was that we
don't police people picking up books off the shelf and reading in the
library, because they don't take the materials home with them. So, along
those lines, we shouldn't prevent anyone from using a stationary
computer, while in the library, because of fines/lost item fees.

Along with the limited child cards, we also changed our internet use
policy, regarding minors, from "opt-in" to "opt-out." We've had many,
many more parents complain about having to visit the library to sign for
permission than we've had parents complain about their child having
access. So, with all of the limited child cards, and now all juvenile
cards, they are automatically granted filtered internet access, and a
parent must request that their child's access to the internet be
restricted. Again, all of this was included in the letter that went home
with each student.

A side note on eliminating overdue fines: If you're thinking about doing
it, I highly recommend it. For most libraries, overdue fines account for
1% or less of revenue. For that amount of money, I've never encountered
another initiative that makes both staff and patrons happier than
eliminating overdue fines. Most of us have levies, which means making
local patrons happy might be an even higher priority than it used to be.
By comparison, the levy accounts for 47% of our revenue, here. Best of
all, it involves stopping an action, so it can be implemented quickly
and easily. Unlike other new initiatives, it actually FREES UP staff
time, which can be devoted to more important things.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Slone
Executive Director
Adams County Public Library