[OPLINLIST] DPLA and Ohio Digital Network Update

jjohnson@library.ohio.gov via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Mon Mar 13 12:43:46 EDT 2017

Hello, and happy Monday! Now that things are starting to move ahead for Ohio's involvement in DPLA, I've got some brief updates to share with you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or Mandy Knapp at OPLIN.

*        As a refresher, DPLA is a portal to digitized collections across the US. DPLA does not own or even host the collections you see on their site - rather, participating institutions provide DPLA with metadata and links to their own collections, and the search function on the DPLA site points back to those original collections' locations (similar to Google providing a pathway to all those websites in the search results, but not actually owning or running those websites themselves).

*        The group of libraries, historical societies, and museums involved in this project is called the Ohio Digital Network.

*        As of last week, all the paperwork with DPLA was signed and Ohio is now officially a DPLA Service Hub. This means that we can start the process of gathering the metadata we are going to send to DPLA. We hope to have access to Ohio content on DPLA by the end of 2017.

*        We've got some Working Groups, Community Engagement Centers, and Ohio's DigiHubs (located in Toledo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus) collaborating on this goal, you may be working with them in the future. We are also developing a website for the Ohio Digital Network that will serve as a centralized point for education and communication about the project, both for libraries and members of the public.

*        We are planning a webinar that will go into more depth regarding metadata requirements, the work of the DigiHubs, and what that all means to you. Scheduling info will be posted to OPLINList soon.

*        Additionally, I am available to visit your library and present to staff or the public about the DPLA and Ohio Digital Network. And if you'd like to watch or share a short (8 min) video introduction to DPLA, there's one on their YouTube Channel - https://youtu.be/m0ngLBa4ewM

I'm very excited to be working on this project, and here for your questions.
Stay tuned for more updates and information in the near future.

Thanks-

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D29BF5.CD1FC5B0]
Jen Johnson
(she/her/hers)
Library Consultant
DPLA Project Coordinator
library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov/>
[cid:image004.png at 01D29BF5.CD1FC5B0]<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOhio>  [Description: Description: Description: Twitter logo - links to the State Library of Ohio's Twitter page] <http://twitter.com/statelibohio>   [Description: Description: Description: Blog logo - Links to the State Library of Ohio's blog] <http://library.ohio.gov/blog/>   [cid:image009.png at 01D29BF5.CD1FC5B0] <http://pinterest.com/stlibohio/>