[OPLINLIST] Database of the Month: Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps

Mandy Knapp via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Mon Mar 20 08:53:21 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I hope this Monday finds you well. Each month I'll be bringing a
resource available from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org/> to
your attention. This March, let's take a look at Sanborn Fire Insurance
Maps (http://ohioweblibrary.org/sanborn) <http://ohioweblibrary.org/sanborn>

The Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps were originally created for assessing
fire insurance liability in urbanized areas in the United States. Our
collection includes over 40,000 detailed maps of Ohio cities drawn
between 1882 and 1962. Each map includes detailed information regarding
town and building information. Although these maps were originally
published in color, our collection is digitized from microfilm and is in
black and white.

You can use this collection to:

  * Locate the residences and workplaces of ancestors.
  * Understand the significance and historical evolution of buildings.
  * See what your town looked like in the past and how it has changed
    over time.

Quick Start Guides & Tip Sheets

  * Getting Started Guide (PDF)
    <http://oplin.org/db-handouts/Sanborn-Guide.pdf>This one-page guide
    created by OPLIN is designed to get your patrons started.
  * Digitial Sanborn Maps Key
    <http://sanborn.umi.com/HelpFiles/key.html> (online)
  * Digital Sanborn Maps Key (PDF)
    <http://sanborn.umi.com/HelpFiles/bwkey.pdf>

Helpful Links

  * About the Sanborn Map Collection.
    <https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/about-this-collection/>
    This guide from the Library of Congress is a detailed guide to
    Sanborn Fire Insurance colors, keys and symbols.

Best,

--
Mandy Knapp
Digital Resources Manager