[OPLINLIST] Develop your subject analysis skills with OhioNET, beginning on 10/17

Shelly Miller via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Tue Oct 3 11:57:15 EDT 2017

Do you work with cataloging or records maintenance at your library?  Could you use a better understanding of how subject headings are assigned?

This workshop and series will focus on the skills and knowledge necessary to understand and assess existing subject headings in MARC format.  The course is aimed at those individuals primarily practicing copy cataloging.  Through these sessions attendees will have the opportunity to gain an overview of the variety of subject heading systems, understand the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a record, recognize the variety of RDA-related changes in subject authority records, explore MARC21 for subject headings in bib records and LCSH authority records and assess the quality of existing records. We will also cover catalogers' judgement and bias.

Presenter Misty Alvaro makes cataloging accessible and interesting no matter what your cataloging experience.

Choose from two formats:

  *   If you think you might benefit from some hands-on time in a small-group, face-to-face setting to increase your comfort with subject analysis tasks, then sign up for our day-long, in-person session<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=375&reset=1> on October 17, 2017.

or take advantage of our convenient ONLINE series

*        Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Overview of Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=369&reset=1> (Session 1)

Tuesday, Oct. 24th, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)

*        Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Subject Analysis Tools for Copy Catalogers<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=370&reset=1> (Session 2)

Tuesday, Oct. 31st, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)

*        Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Subject Analysis Suggested Workflows<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=371&reset=1> (Session 3)

Tuesday, Nov. 7th, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)

Remember: Select your employer from our drop-down list of recognized organizations on the registration page and your membership level will automatically be populated on the form!

Looking for more CE options?  Head to the OhioNET Training Calendar for a full listing of all our upcoming events.  Please don't hesitate to contact us if you find yourself with questions. We're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Shelly

Shelly S. Miller
Community and Training Manager
OhioNET  |  1500 W. Lane Ave.  |  Columbus, OH 43221
shellym at ohionet.org<mailto:shellym at ohionet.org>  |  800-686-8975 ext. 37