[OPLINLIST] Job Posting - Public Services Director - Dayton Metro Library

Jennifer Kadel JEly at daytonmetrolibrary.org
Thu Apr 26 16:03:29 EDT 2018

Public Services Director
Dayton Metro Library
It is an exciting time to be part of the Dayton Metro Library Team!  DML is in the process of renovating or replacing all branch facilities and the Main Library thanks to a $187 million bond issue.  We are halfway through our building plan, with 8 more branches to come online in the next few years.  DML has two Public Services Directors who report to the Deputy Executive Director.  Each oversees one half of our branches.  We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, self-aware, professional leader who values and understands the Library's contribution to our communities.  The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, management and advocacy skills.  This leader will have a superb track record of building and sustaining outstanding teams by providing effective coaching to staff and guidance through change.   We invite you to visit http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org to discover all of our amazing initiatives and activities!

Essential Job Duties

*         Establishes goals and objectives for public service and public services managers that support the Library's mission.

*         Hires, supervises, coaches and monitors the development and utilization of public service managers as assigned.  Prepares annual performance appraisals as scheduled.

*         Regularly meets with direct reports and visits agencies to provide leadership to managers and staff, to evaluate services, and to ensure the efficient, effective delivery of services to patrons.  Analyzes requests and problems and presents recommendations to Deputy Executive Director.  Serves as the primary channel of communication between the Deputy Executive Director and public service staff.

*         Acts as a leader to facilitate change. Works with public services managers to create positive change management.  Maintains a current knowledge of operations.

*         Develops and maintains rapport with community organizations.  Serves on local committees and acts as a liaison to community organizations.  Identifies library needs in the community, and works with public services managers to establish priorities and programs for diverse populations to meet these needs.

*         Ensures the establishment, preparation and implementation of assigned budgets.

*         Works with non-public service managers and administrators to ensure support of public services, provision of needed equipment and services, maintenance of facilities and security.

*         Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at manager's meetings and service on committees.  Serves as a member of the Deputy Executive Director's cabinet.  Participates in the determination of overall administrative policies.

*         Implements Library policies and procedures at the department level.  Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures.  Interprets Library policies to staff with a patron-responsive management perspective.

Job Qualifications

*         Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee operations and personnel of the assigned locations.

*         Thorough knowledge of professional principles, practices, and methods of library science and administration.

*         Knowledge and familiarity with adult, children, and young adult, print, non-print and electronic materials and information resources.

*         Knowledge of management principles required to coordinate a system-wide function.

*         Ability to hire, train, evaluate, motivate and lead staff.

*         Ability to prepare and administer budgets.

*         Valid Ohio driver's license and acceptable motor vehicle record required

*         MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required

*         Four to ten years of increasingly responsible experience at a professional level that includes work in branch and extension services with a minimum of three years supervisory experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.

Compensation and Benefits:  $80,263 annually with an exceptional benefits package

Application Process:  For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org<mailto:careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org> by May 8, 2018.

[cid:image001.png at 01D0186B.B3E83010]

JENNIFER KADEL
Recruitment and Retention Manager
DaytonMetroLibrary.org<http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/>
P: 937.496.8588 *  F: 937.496.4302

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-J.K. Rowling