[OPLINLIST] Job Posting - Dayton Metro Library

Jennifer Kadel JEly at daytonmetrolibrary.org
Wed Jan 10 13:19:33 EST 2018

Programming Assistant, Full-time
Dayton Metro Library

The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting a full-time Programming Assistant to support our staff who offer programs to patrons of all ages by utilizing our varied and numerous programming kits.  We have programming kits geared for children's, teen, and adult programs.  Examples of some of our kits include:  Giant Jenga, Will it Waffle, Tie Dye, Computing (arduinos & raspberry pi), Finch robots, Lego Duplo, corn hole, Tegu magnetic blocks, snap and squishy circuits, sewing/textiles (with sewing machines and knitting & crochet materials).  The Programming Assistant will oversee the scheduling of these kits as well as ensure that all associated components of the kits have been returned and are in good working order.  The ideal candidate will be excited to engage with our community at maker fairs and library-sponsored events to highlight the types of programs our staff offer throughout the year in our Dayton Metro Library locations.  Join our team today!

Essential Job Duties

*         Under the direction of the Programming Manager, assists with the planning and execution of programs at Main and Branch Libraries.  Prepares for and supports library employees and attendees during programs.

*         Assists in the creation of new programming kits and the development of related informational documentation on best usage practices.

*         Makes recommendations for programming kit upgrades, modifications, or discontinuation to the Programming Manager and related committee members.

*         With the guidance of the Programming Committees and Programming Manager, designs, develops, and delivers training to staff in the use of programming kits and associated equipment to ensure creative, high quality programming.

*         Promotes programming kit collections to library staff system-wide to meet programming and community outreach needs.

*         Demonstrates the programming kits and associated equipment at special events and programs in order to promote our services and programs to library patrons and community members, as directed by the Programming Manager.

*         Inspects and replenishes programming kits regularly to ensure they are fully stocked and prepared for use.  Performs minor repairs to keep all components in good working order.  Assists with delivery of programming kits as needed.

*         Oversees and manages the schedule of the programming kits.  Compiles statistics on the amount of use of each programming kit.

*         Compiles and gathers system-wide programming statistics and information as directed by the Programming Manager.  Formats data into requested reports or documents.

*         Performs word processing, spreadsheet, and miscellaneous clerical duties as needed.

Job Qualifications

*         Ability to speak effectively and apply active listening skills. Ability to communicate effectively when dealing with patrons, staff and members of the community.

*         Ability to effectively provide one-on-one instruction and present public training sessions. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.

*         Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.

*         Valid Ohio driver's license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.  Ability to drive a vehicle.

*         Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.

*         Knowledge of 3D modeling and printing/fabrication preferred.

*         Knowledge of computer programming such as Scratch, Arduino, etc. preferred.  Ability to solder electronics and use power tools preferred.  Ability to work with specialized equipment preferred.

*         May be required to work evenings and weekends.

Physical Requirements: Ability to occasionally load and unload materials weighing 55-85 pounds.  Ability to frequently carry, grasp, reach, hold, lift, stoop, turn, sit, stand, walk, and use keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision for driving, and the ability to distinguish colors. Ability to speak and hear required.

Compensation and Benefits:  Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.  Entry hourly rates may range from $16.00 to $20.00.  This position is eligible for our full benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), and professional development opportunities.

Application Process:  For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org<mailto:careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org> by January 23, 2018.

The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

[cid:image001.png at 01D0186B.B3E83010]

JENNIFER KADEL
Recruitment and Retention Manager
DaytonMetroLibrary.org<http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/>
P: 937.496.8588 *  F: 937.496.4302

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-J.K. Rowling