[OPLINLIST] Microsoft Office 2016 Professional

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jul 10 13:16:19 EDT 2018

We've been installing Office 2016 Standard for a while now at our libraries
without problems. We only install Professional in the rare case when there
is a specific need for one of the extra applications included in Pro. (See
TechSoup's comparison here
<https://www.techsoupcanada.ca/en/community/blog/office-standard-vs-professional-vs-online>.)
(Huh...I just realized that link is to TechSoup *Canada*...didn't even know
that was a thing! Either way, it's still relevant.)

As for liking it...It's stable, does what it's supposed to do, and the
communities the libraries serve generally demand it because it's what
they're familiar with. (Although that last part is arguably changing in
recent years as G Suite seems to be taking over more and more, loosening
Microsoft's Office suite hold on K-12...and perhaps in some other market
sectors as well.) Generally, from my experience, people that use and like
Microsoft Office seem to get along just fine with Office 2016. There's
sometimes some grumbling at first when a new version of Office comes out,
but the grumblers generally seem to get over it pretty quickly and switch
to the "like it" category.

Just a last note:  When installing Office, as a matter of course we run
through the custom install process and never install Outlook and generally
don't install OneNote on the patron computers.

2 cents,
Chad

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*