[OPLINLIST] Rambunctious tweens

Penny Neubauer pneubauer at acdl.info
Tue Nov 13 11:38:23 EST 2018

This school year we are averaging 85 middle school students after school.
Some days there are 115-120. (We have a 17,500 sq ft building.) We have
finally found a solution that is working for us. We have been able to shift
staffing around,(including adding a part-time Teen person), engage
professionals as volunteers (social workers and counselors) and are now
able to provide two simultaneous programs, with a third staff member
engaging with those who just want to "hang-out". Everyone is happy with
this solution-- even those who don't relate well with teens.

It may be helpful to remember that, as my branch manager says, "If 85
*adults* came in the door all at once, there would be a bit of noise and
chaos!"

What a great "problem" to have! Congratulations!

Penny Neubauer | Director
Ashtabula County District Library
4335 Park Ave, Ashtabula, OH 44004
440.990.2322(office)
www.acdl.info
Ashtabula Branch 440.997.9341 | Geneva Branch 440.466.4521
*Gather, Read, Discover, Transform*

*Great things are happening @ ACDL!*