[OPLINLIST] Don't Miss Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers-Starts Nov. 27

Heidi Beke-Harrigan heidib at ohionet.org
Thu Nov 15 11:48:46 EST 2018

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D47CD9.2A546B30]

Subject headings are the true magic that libraries bring to the world.  They allow us to collocate materials by topic and provide more precise access (for us and for our end users) than keyword searching.  If you work with cataloging or records maintenance at your institution, register for our online series today to learn about the variety of subject heading systems, the process for assigning headings in the most widely used system, and how to locate subject authority records to help you verify or edit headings in your local catalog.

Why would copy catalogers need to know this? That's a great question! Here are some reasons to explore subject headings a little more deeply:

  *   Enhance records and improve access points for your users.
  *   Recognize when subject headings in a record are wrong.
  *   Sometimes they are missing, especially in the case of self-published items, which are a growing record type.
  *   Understanding authority control.

Click the title link below for more information and to register.

Overview of Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers (Session 1)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=472&reset=1>
Tuesday, Nov. 27th, 1:30pm-3:30pm

Subject Analysis Tools for Copy Catalogers (Session 2)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=473>
Tuesday, Dec. 4th, 1:30pm-3:30pm

Subject Analysis Suggested Workflows (Session 3)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=474&reset=1>
Tuesday, Dec. 11th, 1:30-3:30pm

Can't make it in real time?  Sign up and be sure to get a link to view the recording of this session at your convenience.

Looking for more? Head to the OhioNET Training Calendar<https://www.ohionet.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5713&qid=400804> for a full listing of all our upcoming learning opportunities.

If you find yourself with questions about this, or any of our other CE offerings, please don't hesitate to contact us (ohionet at ohionet.org<https://www.ohionet.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5714&qid=400804>).  We're always happy to help!

"See" you soon,

Heidi

Heidi Beke-Harrigan, MLS, CPL
Member Services Coordinator
OhioNET | 1500 West Lane Ave | Columbus, OH 43221
614-484-1068 | 800-686-8975, ext. 28
heidib at ohionet.org<mailto:heidib at ohionet.org> | www.ohionet.org
Connecting Libraries for Stronger Communities
[chis1]