[OPLINLIST] Cryptocurrency

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 18 16:30:05 EDT 2018

When it comes to Cryptocurrency/Digital Assets, Blockchain/Public Ledger,
etc, I would very strongly suggest you do your homework and due diligence
on whomever you find to speak on the subject and fully understand what the
presentation is about. I've been paying close attention to, invested in,
and mined for digital currencies since late 2014 and might appear to be
pretty knowledgeable to someone who just heard about Bitcoin in the run-up
to December 2017. But I definitely wouldn't be holding myself up as an
expert or consider myself worthy of giving any sort of presentation on the
subject. While the concept has been around for more than a couple of
decades, it has only really hit mass media in the last ~1.5 years and now a
lot of people suddenly seem to be "experts" on the topic.

Further, judging by the volume of questions I had about "Bitcoin" in the
throes of late last year when excitement really hit mass media, I would
guess that most of the people coming to a presentation like this would be
interested in it from almost entirely a financial (speculation or
investment) point of view. It would be unfortunate if they were
accidentally (at best) influenced into putting their hard-earned money into
poor investments by a presenter. This is one of those somewhat rare
occurrences of real widespread world-changing technology, but it's still
very much the volatile infantile and unregulated days. Caution is warranted.

Two cents,
Chad
*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*