[OPLINLIST] Last call - Learn how to catalog AV formats

Heidi Beke-Harrigan heidib at ohionet.org
Tue Sep 25 13:02:45 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D454D0.0CA44550]

Fundamentals of Cataloging--our popular, long-running series of in-person training sessions--is now online!  The third set of sessions in the series will focus on the issues, fields, and elements to be considered when cataloging commonly used AV formats including CDs, DVDs, and streaming video and audio files.  This means that we will be discussing records for both physical and electronic resources.  Each session includes dedicated practice and searching time, brief quizzes, and other learning engagement opportunities.

Note: Attendees must have attended the in-person or online version of our Fundamentals of Cataloging: Introduction or have an appropriate combination of other course work or experience with basic cataloging concepts and workflows.

  *   Plan to have 1 or 2 physical items available at your desk during the session for hands-on practice time to use as examples.
Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Overview of Common AV Formats (Session 1)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=467&reset=1>
This first session in the Common AV Formats series will present an overview of AV Cataloging processes and workflows.  We will describe the vocabulary and resources you need to help you get started with cataloging common audiovisual materials.
Tuesday, October 2nd from 1:30PM-3:30PM
Presenter: Tim Keller
Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: MARC for Common AV Formats (Session 2)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=468&reset=1>
This second session in the Common AV Formats series will discuss key MARC fields relevant to AV cataloging.
Tuesday, October 9th from 1:30PM-3:30PM
Presenter: Tim Keller
Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: RDA vs AACR2 for DVDs (Session 3)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=469&reset=1>
This third session in the series will explore how our new cataloging standard, RDA (Resource Description and Access), changes the way we catalog AV materials.  Our discussion will focus on DVDs and streaming video resources
Tuesday, October 16th, from 1:30PM-3:30PM
Presenter: Tim Keller
Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: RDA vs AACR2 for CDs (Session 4)<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=470&reset=1>
This fourth session in the Common AV Formats series will explore how our new cataloging standard, RDA (Resource Description and Access), changes the way we catalog AV materials.  Our discussion will focus on CDs and streaming audio resources.
Tuesday, October 23rd, from 1:30PM-3:30PM
Presenter: Tim Keller

Can't make it in real time?  Sign up and be sure to get link to view the recording of this session at your convenience.

Looking for more Fundamentals of Cataloging?  Click on the session title link below for more information about our upcoming Subject Analysis series.

  *   Overview of Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=472&reset=1>
Starting November 27th, 2018 from 1:30pm-3:30pm

Or head to the OhioNET Training Calendar<http://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for a full listing of all our upcoming learning opportunities.

If you find yourself with questions about this, or any of our other CE offerings, please don't hesitate to contact us (ohionet at ohionet.org<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>).  We're always happy to help!

"See" you soon,

Heidi

Heidi Beke-Harrigan, MLS, CPL
Member Services Coordinator
OhioNET | 1500 West Lane Ave | Columbus, OH 43221
614-484-1068 | 800-686-8975, ext. 28
heidib at ohionet.org<mailto:heidib at ohionet.org> | www.ohionet.org
Connecting Libraries for Stronger Communities
[chis1]