[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: OLSSI Scholarships, EduCode Grants, Circ Staff, Improving Labor Relations & Grounding Tips

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Apr 10 08:30:54 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4EF77.B7087B00]
NEONews April 10, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Spring into Continuing Education
  *   Ever Popular Day for Circ Staff
  *   EduCode Offers Grants
  *   CE Publications to Print and Share
  *   OLSSI Offers 3 Scholarships
  *   Summer Food Service Program
  *   Improving Labor-Management Relations

CE Publications to Print and Share
Have you had an opportunity to review the   <http://https/www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Gu%20ide_0119-0619.pdf>  Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019?  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0419_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
OLSSI Offers 3 Scholarships
OLSSI Scholarship Deadline: 4/24

In an effort to help libraries and their support staff, OLSSI is offering three full scholarships to our 2019 conference. OLSSI Scholarships cover the entire $299 registration fee for the annual OLSSI event.  This will allow three (3) scholarship winners to attend the 2019 Institute free of charge.
Find more details at   olssi.org/scholarships <https://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=betsy.lantz@neo-rls.org&job=3710335&ymlink=346083009&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Folssi%2Eorg%2Fscholarships%2F> .
Here is the link <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lzgw1qLZrtLJU6gVBUd2iw5YL9jBGJz-/view> for the application.
Summer Food Service Program
Every summer when school ends, millions of kids and teens are at risk of going hungry without access to the free or reduced-price meals they receive in school. The USDA’s Summer Food Service Program <http://www.fns.usda.gov/sfsp/summer-food-service-program-sfsp> (SFSP) provides free healthy meals to children and youth in communities with high rates of poverty. Many Ohio libraries already participate as SFSP sites, or provide programming to other SFSP sites in their communities.

If your library is a site, or if there are other SFSP sites in your city or community, please help build awareness by distributing free SFSP bookmarks being supplied by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). As few as 1 in 10 eligible Ohio students receive food through the SFSP. Anything we can do to connect more kids with summer meals will be helpful in addressing child hunger and food insecurity in the summer.

The bookmarks will include basic info, about finding SFSP sites, that applies to any community where sites exist. It will be printed one side English, the other Spanish.
You may order bookmarks in any quantity, in multiples of 100. The ODE will ship them directly to you in April-May. There is no charge for the bookmarks or for shippingT
To see a bookmark sample and to place your request click HERE<http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SFSP_bookmark_2019>
Improving Labor-Management Relations
Improving Labor-Management Relations Through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing on Thursday, May 9, 2019.<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51160&org_id=NEOL>
This highly interactive course will help participants build strong labor-management relationships through effective communication and grievance handling skills.  Participants will get information and hands-on experience in communication, collaborative problem-solving, grievance processing as well as tips for preventing grievances.

Learning Objectives Part I: Moving from Conflict to Collaboration

  *   Communication Basics
  *   Active Listening
  *   Collaborative Problem-Solving

Learning Objectives Part 2:  Effective Grievance Handling

  *   Grievance Steps
  *   Grievance vs. Gripe
  *   Tips for Preventing Grievances
  *   Grievance Mediation
Don't miss this workshop and the newly renovated South Branch (Carnegie Building) of Cleveland Public Library.
Presenter:  Barbara Baker  is a Commissioner with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) in Independence, Ohio. As a Federal Mediator, she assists parties in collective bargaining negotiations and mediates labor and employment disputes in the private, public and federal sectors.

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]Isn’t this weather wonderful?!  I am truly enjoying the sunshine but with the spring comes a lot of extra activity for many of us.  Everything is ramping up for the end of the semester in academic libraries.  School libraries are winding down the school year and public libraries are getting ready for their busy summer reading season.  Many of us are involved in these activities both personally and professionally, making our lives stressful at times.  Last Thursday at our Critical Conversations Conference, one of our speakers, Erin Turner, provided us with a simple grounding technique to help us pause for a moment and alleviate some of the stress.  She mentioned that grounding techniques often use our five senses to connect us to the moment and recommended the use of Play-Doh!  Everyone was given a small container of Play-Doh and asked to really look at the color for a minute.  We then closed our eyes and proceeded to feel the Play-Doh, manipulate it, smell it and for those who wanted – taste it.  It was a simple and inexpensive exercise that helped connect us to the here and now.  The next time you or one of your co-workers is feeling overwhelmed with all that is going on, grab some Play-Doh, share some Play-Doh, and ground yourself!

Betsy Lantz
Spring into Continuing Education

Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50996>
04/10/2019
Build a Better World with Upcycled Materials [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52427>
04/11/2019
Reference Reboot: Refreshing Your Reference Interview and Information Searching Skills [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52424>
04/15/2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51158>
04/16/2019- 04/17/2019
Weed 'em and Reap: Readers Advisory Benefits of Fiction Weeding<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52075>
04/17/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50997>
04/18/2019
Navigating Ohio's Library Organizations [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52426>
04/19/2019
Beyond Rosetta Stone: How Libraries Can Support English Language Learners [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52425>
04/22/2019
A Firm Grasp: The Nonverbals of Influential Leaders [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52429>
04/26/2019
Programming for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52423>
04/29/2019
Myers Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019
Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019
RDA in Practice: Enrichment vs. Original Cataloging<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51177>
05/14/2019
Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50994>
05/15/2019
Early Literacy 101-An Ohio Ready to Read Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51149>
05/16/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52341>
05/16/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019

Ever Popular Day for Circ Staff
This year we are focusing on you and your co-workers.  Getting to know your own personality type and that of those that you work with daily.

The morning will start with Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type .
Learning Objectives:

  *   Learn about what the Myers Briggs Type Indicator measures (and does not measure) and how it is related to your personality preferences
  *   Understand how you can utilize the unique skills in your work dynamics effectively, from problem-solving to communication to leadership development
  *   Be provided with practical strategies for working more productively with others of different and diverse personality preferences
In the afternoon, we will focus specifically on communication in context to our co-workers and our community patrons. We will start by examining the new information we have learned about our personality types and explore how those different types translate into the different and unique ways we communicate with each other.
Dates and Locations:
Thursday, June, 13, 2019 - Wayne County Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51161&org_id=NEOL>
Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - Mentor Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
Thursday, September 12, 2019 - Canfield Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>
Tuesday, November, 12, 2019 - Westlake Porter Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>
EduCode Offers Grants
Planning to begin a coding club or course for kids at your library or school? EduCode is offering grants to libraries, schools and educators that will provide free access to their coding platform and fundamentals course content. You will also get live support and a quick set-up guide for facilitators. No experience is needed with their platform and there is no limit to the amount of users. To sign up for the grant, visit http://bit.ly/EduCodeGrant2019. Deadline to apply is May 18, 2019.

Template 1 - NEONews April 10, 2019