[OPLINLIST] Last Chance! – Learn about library rights and responsibilities under Fair Use

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Wed Apr 17 10:28:06 EDT 2019

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D4F508.3E54DF00]

Fair Use is a cornerstone principal of copyright practices in the U.S. Plan to attend this webinar to better understand your rights under the law.
Here are just a few highlights of the topics we’ll cover:

·        Introduction to the Fair use exception in US copyright law.

·        Explore the four factors to consider when trying to determine if the reuse of a work may be considered fair or infringing.

·        Examine the responsibilities (and rights) of libraries.

·        Learn about tools and other suggested resources to help make crucial determinations.

Click the title link below for more information and registration. Can't make it in real-time?  Sign up and be sure to get the link to review the recording of our online sessions at your convenience.

Copyright in Action: Understanding Fair Use<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=486>
Wednesday, April 24, 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM
Presenter: Carla Myers (Miami University Libraries)

As always Carla will consider various scenarios and answer your specific questions during the presentation. You can also send her copyright questions<https://www.ohionet.org/your-copyright-questionsanswered> to be included in the Copyright Q&A section of our newsletter. Have an immediate question? The ALA Copyright Advisory Network<https://librarycopyright.net/> provides a number of resources, including a Fair Use evaluator.

Looking for more events in our Preservation & Access training track? Check out these upcoming sessions or head to the Training Calendar for a complete listing of all our current continuing education opportunities.

Digitization Basics 2: Tools and Techniques<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=502&reset=1>
Wednesday, May 8, 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Presenters: Jenni Salamon & Lily Birkhimer (Ohio History Connection)

Advanced Book Repair and Structure<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=480&reset=1>
In-person only—no recording will be available. Registration closes May 9, 2019.
Thursday, May 23, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Presenter: Dr. Miriam Kahn (MBK Consulting)

Copyright in Action: Fact or Fiction?-Myths about Copyright and Fair Use<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=487&reset=1>
Wednesday, June 12, 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Presenter: Carla Myers (Miami University Libraries)

Digitization Basics 3: Providing Access and Measuring Success<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=507&reset=1>
Thursday, July 11, 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Presenters: Jenni Salamon & Lily Birkhimer (Ohio History Connection)

Exploring Your CopyRIGHTS in K-12 Environments—a Hands-on Workshop<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=511&reset=1>
In-person only—no recording will be available. Registration closes July 31, 2019.
Thursday, August 8, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Presenter: Carla Myers (Miami University Libraries)

If you have questions about these or any of our continuing education offerings, don’t hesitate to contact us<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>. We’re always happy to help.

Cheers,

Shelly

Shelly S. Miller, MLIS
Community and Training Manager
OhioNET  |  1500 W. Lane Ave.  |  Columbus, OH 43221
shellym at ohionet.org<mailto:shellym at ohionet.org>  |  800-686-8975 ext. 37
www.ohionet.org

Connecting Libraries for Stronger Communities