[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Bylaws, RFID, Ryan Dowd Training, Strategic Planning & ALA Policy Corp

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Dec 2 11:42:27 EST 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5A905.91427540]
NEONews December 2, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   2020 Workshops and Webinars Open for Registration
  *   Are You Thinking of Doing Strategic Planning in 2020?
  *   ALA Policy Corps
  *   Letters of Intent for 2020-2021 are Due December 31, 2019
  *   To Tag or Not to Tag?
  *   Librarian's Guide to Homelessness

Letters of Intent for 2020-2021 are Due December 31, 2019
If you have not yet returned your Letter of Intent for 2020-2021 Membership (July 1, 2020-June 30, 2021), please do so as soon as possible.  NEO-RLS uses the Letters of Intent to prepare its budget and that process begins in January!  Thank you very much!
To Tag or Not to Tag?
Implementing RFID at Your Library
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 10 am From Your Desktop<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54173>
RFID promises to revolutionize circulation at your library, from checkout and returns to inventory and security. But once the equipment is installed, what does it really take to place an individually encoded RFID tag on every one of the thousands of items in your collection?
We’d like to walk you through the process.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Consider RFID tag types, shapes, and sizes for optimized device reading, along with where to place them on books and media
  *   Understand the tagging process at the item level and at the project level
  *   Know why and how to disable older, non-ISO tags when implementing an updated RFID system
  *   Explore project management considerations to ensure that a collection is tagged completely, correctly, and quickly
Presenter:  John Reese  is vice president of on-site services at Backstage Library Works.  John has presided over on-site collections management projects for RFID tagging, inventory, weeding, and reclassification.
Librarian's Guide to Homelessness
In September the State Library of Ohio purchased statewide access to The Librarian’s Guide to Homelessness <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/> through Niche Academy. The online training, authored by Ryan Dowd, is now available for all Ohio public library staff.  The four-part training is an empathy-driven approach that provides best practices for library staff on how to understand the homeless population and serve them better. There are also practical tips on how to deal with and de-escalate common situations and issues, and make staff feel empowered and safe.  A former director of a Chicago homeless shelter, Ryan Dowd is the author of  The Librarians Guide to Homelessness: An Empathy-Driven Approach to Solving Problems, Preventing Conflict, and Serving Everyone .  He travels all over the United States speaking to libraries about how to best help homeless patrons using empathy and respect. To access the training, go to the State Library of Ohio’s  Training and Professional Development page <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/>  and click the homelessness training link.  Once in Niche Academy, you will be prompted to create an account.

Ryan Dowd will be hosting a live webinar- Advanced Body Language Concepts and Tools on December 4. The webinar is free to access with the statewide subscription. Here are the details:   Pre-Registration Required:  Click HERE<https://zoom.us/webinar/register/5315737827818/WN_Q15iDF4rQPG1FswVeWQOmA%20​>.

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]Every year the Bylaws/Policy Committee of the NEO-RLS Board of Trustees reviews our Bylaws.  Our Bylaws serve as our organization’s roadmap for the governance of NEO-RLS and set forth rules regarding activities that affect our operations such as the election of Trustees, the roles and duties of Trustees and officers, types and responsibilities of Board committees, membership types and responsibilities, and procedures for holding meetings.  Our Bylaws must be followed by the employees and Trustees of the organization and we are also held accountable by the State Auditor of Ohio. When changes are made to the Bylaws we are required (by our Bylaws) to post the proposed Bylaws for 30 days so they can be reviewed by our members.  The Bylaws are currently posted on the website <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/Proposed_2020-2021__Bylaws_for_posting_112219.pdf> .  In reviewing the Bylaws with an eye toward the future of NEO-RLS, the Committee made a couple of significant changes that I would like to bring to your attention.  If approved, the Bylaws will be reviewed bi-annually rather than annually.  They also decided to change the composition of the Board of Trustees by eliminating one (1) At-Large Library seat and adding a second Academic Library seat.  The Committee felt this was appropriate now that there are 18 Academic Library members which represents 50% of the Academic libraries in our region.  The Duties of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees were expanded to include serving as Chair of the Bylaws/Policy Committee and new Committees were added including an Awards Committee, Marketing/PR Committee, Technology Committee and Legislative Committee.  In addition, it was clarified that Ad Hoc Committees could be chaired by non-Board members with a Board liaison.  We would love to hear your thoughts on these proposed changes.  Please email me <mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org?subject=Proposed%20Bylaw%20Changes> if you have comments regarding the proposed changes.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Betsy Lantz
2020 Workshops and Webinars Open for Registration

Spanish in a Pinch for Library Staff<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54172>
12/04/2019
Unconscious Bias & Micro Messages <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53320>
12/05/2019
Academic Library Director's Network Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55053>
12/06/2019
To Tag, or Not to Tag? Implementing RFID at Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54173>
12/10/2019
Teen Programming: A Mover & Shaker's Recipe for Impact and Success<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54134>
12/11/2019
Adult Programming Palooza: Summer Reading & More!<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54960>
12/12/2019
Salary Survey Discussion: Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54833>
12/13/2019
Using EBSCOhost and Explora to Search EBSCO Databases<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55239>
01/07/2020
Children's Summer Reading Program: Imagine Your Story<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55246>
01/09/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part I<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55244>
01/14/2020
Copyright Basics for Librarians<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55241>
01/15/2020
Run Your Friends Like a Firehouse<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55345>
01/16/2020
Book Club Reboot: Creative Twists on the Reading Groups We Know and Love<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55242>
01/22/2020
Learning does not end in the classroom:
Workbooks for self-directed learning about equity, diversity and inclusion<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55243>
01/29/2020
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55052>
01/30/2020
Onboarding Essentials: From Interview to Integration<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55311>
01/30/2020
2020 Census and Libraries: Key Details and Strategies<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55315>
02/04/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part II<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55245>
02/05/2020
EBSCO Do-It-Yourself Interfaces (Hobbies and Crafts, Home Improvement, and Small Business)<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55240>
02/25/2020

Are You Thinking of Doing Strategic Planning in 2020?
If you are interested in having NEO-RLS facilitate your strategic planning process, please know that our calendar fills up quickly making it necessary to plan ahead.  If you are interested in more information regarding the process, cost, and timeline, or would like references, please email Betsy Lantz<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org?subject=Strategic%20Planning>.

ALA Policy Corps
The American Library Association (ALA) invites library advocates to apply online to join the ALA Policy Corps before December 11. The Corps initiative aims to strengthen advocacy related to key national library policy areas—ranging from broadband equity and copyright/licensing to federal funding and privacy and cybersecurity.

The ALA is seeking to recruit up to 12 participants with diverse representation from across library types and geographies. Participants will cultivate deep expertise for a public policy issue; create or enhance the skill set needed to impact legislation and policy; mentor others on a given policy issue of interest; participate in a cohort to share challenges and successes; and ultimately impact national, state and local policymaking. Selected candidates will join the third cohort in policy advocacy efforts on behalf of libraries.

The application process for the 2020 ALA Policy Corps is now open.  Applications<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/ala-policy-corps-application>  will be accepted through Wednesday, December 11, 2019. Selected finalists will subsequently be asked to submit a two-minute recorded video presentation about a sample policy issue.