[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Hunger Alliance, Rare Books, F. Gerald Ham & Elsie Ham Scholarship, and Upcoming Events

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Dec 16 15:03:17 EST 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5B421.F20B6090]
NEONews December 16, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Something for Everyone
  *   Want to know how you can help with the 2020 Census?
  *   RBMS Conference Scholarships Available
  *   Happy Holidays
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Don’t forget to return your 2020-2021 Letter of Intent by December 31st.
  *   Children’s Hunger Alliance
  *   F. Gerald Ham and Elsie Ham Scholarship

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Don't miss an opportunity to share our one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/1219_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff and colleagues.
Don’t forget to return your 2020-2021 Letter of Intent by December 31st.
Thank you to those who have already returned their Letter of Intent.  The Letters of Intent are critical to our budgeting process which will begin in January.   Please return your Letter by December 31 st if you have not already done so.  Thanks!
Children’s Hunger Alliance
Do you get hungry kids in the library after school? Who doesn't? If your library is in an area where at least 50% of the students are eligible for free or reduced price school meals, consider this:

Children’s Hunger Alliance (CHA) provides FREE meals to libraries across the State of Ohio through the USDA’s Child and Adult Food Care Program . CHA has started a new model that is easier to implement and manage, using nutritious, kid-friendly, shelf-stable products. Less fuss and muss. And, it’s a great way to welcome more children and teens ages 0-18 (and through age 21 for individuals with an IAP). If you’ve never offered afterschool snacks/meals before, or if you’ve tried without much success, this may work for you, as it has with many sites in Ohio.

We know that 1 in 5 children in the state of Ohio do not always know where their next meal will come from. CHA works with vendors across the state to provide nutritious and FREE meals for students in afterschool programs. Please contact Jared Buerger, Director of Afterschool Nutrition to learn more about receiving free, nutritious meals for students during out-of-school-time programs at your library.

Contact: jbuerger at childrenshungeralliance.org <mailto:jbuerger at childrenshungeralliance.org> or 1-800-227-6446 ext. 313.
For more information click HERE<http://childrenshungeralliance.org/provider-services/afterschool-programs/>.

F. Gerald Ham and Elsie Ham Scholarship
The deadline for applications for the F. Gerald Ham and Elsie Ham Scholarship of $10,000, one of SAA's most substantial awards for graduate archival education, is coming soon:  February 28!
Keep in mind these eligibility requirements:

  *   The student must have successfully completed a  minimum of three (3) semester credit hours, or the equivalent , of a course(s) meeting the definition of "core archival knowledge" presented in the Guidelines.
  *   The scholarship funds must be used to support the graduate archival education of a student who is studying at a United States university program that meets the criteria for graduate education set forth by the Society of American Archivists'  Guidelines for a Graduate Program in Archival Studies <https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Farchivists.org%2Fgpas&data=02%7C01%7Chsoyka%40kent.edu%7Ce953b8630d084f0ff85608d7807d296f%7Ce5a06f4a1ec44d018f73e7dd15f26134%7C1%7C0%7C637119147372695889&sdata=AHSLK3p%2Fe2AL1XM5LSbFNcd9RvZqlJrLy211D55afoY%3D&reserved=0> . (A graduating student may use scholarship funds to pay off student loan debt from his or her graduate archival education.)
Click here <http://www2.archivists.org/governance/handbook/section12-ham.> for eligibility and application requirements.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]Due to the holidays the newsletter will be on hiatus for the next two weeks.  However, we will be busy putting the finishing touches on the CE opportunities for January – June 2020.  We have a strong line-up of webinars in January and February to start the year as well as our Summer Reading Programs. 2020 will see the introduction of our new Customer Service Academy and our new Leadership Academy , both beginning in March.  Check the website in January for details about how you can participate in each of these new learning opportunities.  In addition, we continue to create workshops and webinars based on your input.  This coming year the popular Day for Circ has been modified based on feedback and will be called Day for Public Services so that all front line staff are able to participate and benefit from a variety of relevant content.  The New Supervisors’ Academy will begin in February.  Critical Conversations: Taboo Topics will take place on April 2nd and focus on issues confronting libraries including Human Trafficking, Youth and Elder Abuse, Personal Safety, Harassment Training and more.  The Emerging Tech Symposium will be held June 11th and focus on the maker mindset.  Check out the website and mark your calendars.  We always try to provide something for everyone.  If you see something missing, let us know.  We hope you are excited about what is planned and we look forward to seeing you in 2020!  On behalf of the staff of NEO-RLS I would like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and a new year filled with peace and joy.

Betsy Lantz
Something for Everyone

New-to-Libraries Network presents Library Residencies as told by Resident Librarians<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55458>
12/17/2019
Using EBSCOhost and Explora to Search EBSCO Databases<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55239>
01/07/2020
Changing the Library World, One Subject Heading at a Time: Collaborating with the Cataloging Lab<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55487>
01/08/2020
Children's Summer Reading Program: Imagine Your Story<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55246>
01/09/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part I<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55244>
01/14/2020
Copyright Basics for Librarians<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55241>
01/15/2020
Run Your Friends Like a Firehouse<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55345>
01/16/2020
Book Club Reboot: Creative Twists on the Reading Groups We Know and Love<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55242>
01/22/2020
Learning does not end in the classroom: Workbooks for self-directed learning about equity, diversity and inclusion <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55243>
01/29/2020
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55052>
01/30/2020
Onboarding Essentials: From Interview to Integration<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55311>
01/30/2020
2020 Census and Libraries: Key Details and Strategies<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55315>
02/04/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part II<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55245>
02/05/2020
Teen Summer Reading Program: Imagine Your Story <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55510>
02/06/2020
Gadgets and Gizmos: Exploring Technology for Youth<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55479>
02/19/2020
Why SMART Goals<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55477>
02/20/2020
EBSCO Do-It-Yourself Interfaces (Hobbies and Crafts, Home Improvement, and Small Business)<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55240>
02/25/2020
Enhancing Community Partnerships and Grant Writing<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55249>
03/05/2020
The Basics of Project Management<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55264>
03/10/2020

Want to know how you can help with the 2020 Census?
Visit our website to view Coming to our Census: What Libraries Can Do to Get Out the Count.
RBMS Conference Scholarships Available

The Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) offers scholarships to subsidize conference attendance by professional librarians, paraprofessionals, and students.  RBMS is currently accepting scholarship applications for RBMS 2020: Power, Resistance, and Leadership <https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fconference.rbms.info%2F2020%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjkorzenk%40kent.edu%7C61ae2d8534dc486f97c408d77a7dbe61%7Ce5a06f4a1ec44d018f73e7dd15f26134%7C1%7C0%7C637112553290163686&sdata=xPwClqR9ObbR%2F3JltBJD17dmtkdu6l%2FKM5WDx001YMk%3D&reserved=0> to be held at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN from June 23-26, 2020. The deadline to apply for scholarships is January 10, 2020 and applicants will be notified on or before March 6, 2020 . *Please note that eligibility requirements have changed, and awards are available for first-time attendees and returning attendees.

Eligibility
All candidates must be:
Currently enrolled in a library, information science, or archival studies program; a graduate of such a program; OR currently employed or volunteering as a professional or paraprofessional in a rare books, special collections, or archives capacity.

To Apply
Candidates must complete the RBMS 2020 Scholarship Application Form <https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surveymonkey.com%2Fr%2FRBMS20&data=02%7C01%7Cjkorzenk%40kent.edu%7C61ae2d8534dc486f97c408d77a7dbe61%7Ce5a06f4a1ec44d018f73e7dd15f26134%7C1%7C0%7C637112553290173678&sdata=jpmcWOOG%2B67YnSiVhacHwHLzbP5NaAHxrrA4J4cMxrs%3D&reserved=0> . We recommend that you preview the application form <https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fconference.rbms.info%2F2020%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2019%2F12%2FRBMS-2020-Scholarship-Application-Form.pdf&data=02%7C01%7Cjkorzenk%40kent.edu%7C61ae2d8534dc486f97c408d77a7dbe61%7Ce5a06f4a1ec44d018f73e7dd15f26134%7C1%7C0%7C637112553290183667&sdata=hqJN4jV9XsiS5QspP%2FNwkkis8CnST1OpbQ9EK9UaZkE%3D&reserved=0> before you begin as it must be completed in one sitting.

Deadline
Friday, January 10, 2020 (11:59 PST)

Happy Holidays
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/57364_12162019132621.jpg]