[OPLINLIST] NEO News:Two April Events , Kindergarten Readiness, ALAO Call for Proposals and Staff Day News

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Feb 25 14:12:50 EST 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5405807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4CD14.2FD3B2B0]
NEONews February 25, 2018

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from Holly Klingler, Certified Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Instructor
  *   It's Almost March-Register Today
  *   Two Events Not to Miss in April
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Kindergarten Readiness Workshops
  *   Children's Summer Reading Workshop
  *   Staff Development Conference News
  *   ALAO Call for Proposals

Continuing Education to Print and Share
The new  <http://https/www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Gu%20ide_0119-0619.pdf>  Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019 is available.  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0319_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Kindergarten Readiness Workshops
“Strengthening School Readiness Support to Families and the Community through the Public Library”
The Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County have secured a grant to offer the workshops below. The workshops are funded by an LSTA grant and will be presented by Saroj Ghoting.  The workshops are open to any Ohio librarian, with attendance at each session limited to 30.

Thursday, May 23, 9:00-4:30, Canfield branch (43 W. Main St., Canfield)
Tuesday, August 13, 9:00-4:30, Poland branch (311 S. Main St., Poland)

Saroj Ghoting, Early Childhood Literacy Consultant and national trainer on early literacy, will provide you with information and resources necessary to become a more intentional support in your community on school readiness.  You will gain an understanding of Ohio’s Early Learning and Development Standards: Birth to Kindergarten Entry and the five domains of early learning (Approaches Toward Learning, Cognition and General Knowledge, Language and Literacy, Physical Well-Being and Motor Development, and Social and Emotional Development).

Register by emailing your contact information and which date you would like to attend to pbrockway at libraryvisit.org <mailto:pbrockway at libraryvisit.org> .  Attendance at each workshop is limited to 30.
Children's Summer Reading Workshop
Check out some highlights <https://youtu.be/Wh1ha9U7poY> from last week's Children's Summer Reading Workshop.
Staff Development Conference News
We have 5 confirmed libraries for the Staff Development Conference on November 1, 2019.
New this year we will have:

  *   Individual seats available and registration for those seats will open in the next couple of months.
  *   Staff Development Conference Committee Meeting - If you want to help plan the day please join us on Tuesday, March 26 th from 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm at that NEO-RLS office in Hudson.  This committee is open to anyone interested in assisting with the planning.  Please email Melissa Lattanzi<mailto:lattanzm at neo-rls.org> if you are interested.

ALAO Call for Proposals

The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) conference planning committee invites you to submit proposals for the 45th Annual Conference,  Libraries Speak Up! Advocate. Collaborate. Educate. , which will highlight the myriad of ways we respectfully, effectively, and equitably speak up for our profession, our libraries, and our patrons through advocacy, collaboration, and education. All facets of the library community are invited to submit a presentation from public and technical services to librarians, staff, and students. Proposal formats include posters, roundtables, and 45-minute presentations.

Conference Date:  October 18, 2019
Conference Location:  Nationwide Hotel & Conference Center in Columbus, Ohio
Submission Deadline:  April 12, 2019
Submission Form<https://goo.gl/forms/8Ju2s7ezbsKqv4bz2>
We encourage thoughtful, timely proposals from all areas of library work. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

  *   Innovative collaborations
  *    Advocacy efforts for our patrons, our libraries, and the profession
  *   Advocating for social justice and equity
  *   Demonstrating value and telling our story
  *   Outreach, including outreach to marginalized groups
  *   Library instruction and information literacy
  *   Advocacy, collaboration, or innovation in collections work
  *   Marketing and communications

More information and submission guidelines are available on the  conference website <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.alaoweb.org_conferences_2019_proposals&d=DwMFAg&c=3buyMx9JlH1z22L_G5pM28wz_Ru6WjhVHwo-vpeS0Gk&r=CiSNLA9RKpFrzoSuNX7KU5K_amcpD5SgbeDo2gjKV9g&m=EL2rWfqOZBW885p7LDRYtAs-IqINGXyEXZ8pcgSQNZQ&s=jd96VwqnvG3b-f7PeFHPsR1vrMXUxt816HvY5ebgDwg&e=>

A Note from Holly Klingler, Certified Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Instructor
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35595_02132017081803.jpg]When we think of professional communication, we often think of the importance of both verbal and nonverbal components. While these are extremely important, there is another essential element that contributes to effective communication, and that is our personality preference. Do you prefer communicating the big picture to others or digging into the details? Do you like to have spontaneous and open brainstorming sessions or directed, scheduled meetings? Your personality preferences play a big part in how you wish to work and interact with others and in the way you process information. Learn about your personality preference at our two Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Workshops (MBTI). In our first workshop,  Thursday, March 21, 2019 <http://bit.ly/2GEPFaA> ,  you will discover what the MBTI assessment is and how it can provide insight into your personality preferences. You will learn about the different personality types, what your preferences are and how you can use them to focus on your strengths. In our second workshop,  Tuesday, April 30, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51174&org_id=NEOL> , we will delve more deeply into how you can use your knowledge of personality preference to communicate effectively to others, whether that be with your colleagues or with patrons, individually or as a team. You will learn to understand and appreciate diverse learning and communication preferences and be able to use those new skills to successfully work with others.  I hope to see you there. Register today!
It's Almost March-Register Today

Keeping It Weird: Cataloging the Library of Things<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51131>
02/26/2019
I Didn't Know You Did That! - Public Library Board Game Circulation<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50991>
02/27/2019
New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51134>
02/28/2019
Graphic Novel Collection Development <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51539>
02/28/2019
Academic Library Directors' Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51139>
03/01/2019
Adult Programming Series: 20 Adult Programming Ideas in One Hour [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52035>
03/04/2019
Human Trafficking 101 <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51105>
03/06/2019
Escape Rooms from Scratch<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51140>
03/07/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51128>
03/08/2019
Art of Customer Service [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52034>
03/08/2019
Adult Programming Series: 20 More Adult Programming Ideas in One Hour [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52036>
03/11/2019
Difficult Conversations re: Corrective Action and Termination<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51142>
03/12/2019
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50992>
03/13/2019
Readers' Advisory Network for Children and Teens: Trends, Tools, and Tricks<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51166>
03/13/2019
Tools to Improve Your Workflow and Increase Productivity <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50993>
03/14/2019
Services for Immigrants - Lessons Learned from Library Services for Immigrants and New America [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52056>
03/15/2019
Best Practices in Performance Documentation [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52057>
03/18/2019
Tweens...After School Behavior: To Battle or Engage?<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50995>
03/20/2019
Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51143>
03/21/2019
Branch Managers Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51145>
03/22/2019
Book Discussion Circuit Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51146>
03/22/2019
Everyday Disability: Welcoming Patrons with Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52055>
03/22/2019
Graphic Novels for all Patrons [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52033>
03/25/2019
Cataloging is not neutral: improving equity and inclusion in resource description<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50785>
03/26/2019
Telling your story: Tips and tricks to engage your audience<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51144>
03/28/2019
Intellectual Freedom . . . The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52054>
03/29/2019
What are they thinking? Teen behavior in Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51092>
04/02/2019
Critical Conversations Conference: Mental Health Awareness: Libraries Create Safe Zones for Customers and Staff <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51153>
04/04/2019
Reference Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51147>
04/09/2019
Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50996>
04/10/2019
New Supervisors Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51148>
04/12/2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51158>
04/16/2019- 04/17/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50997>
04/18/2019
Myers-Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019

Two Events Not to Miss in April
Two big events with National Speakers in April!
Thursday, April 4, 2019
Critical Conversations Conference: Mental Health Awareness: Libraries Create Safe Zones for Customers and Staff <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51153&org_id=NEOL>
Morning Featured Session:   Perspective and Insights for Library Staff Dealing with Mental Illness in their Facilities.   Joe Miesner , Librarian IV, Access Services, Central Library @ Joan A. Irwin Jacobs Common, San Diego Public Library will discuss an overview of San Diego Public Library’s efforts related to mental health, best practices for dealing with patrons suffering from mental illness and a conversation about the changing nature of public service.

Afternoon Featured Sessions:  Removing Fear and Anxiety after a Conflict
Responding to upset individuals in a professional setting can be significantly stressful. Recognizing how conflict can increase fear and anxiety is an important key to decreasing anxiety associated with the work that you do.

Compassion Fatigue – “When Our Empathy Makes Us Vulnerable”
Compassion Fatigue in the library field and any helping field can be one of prevalence and dismay. Those of us who are lucky enough to have true empathy within us are at risk of exhaustion purely because of our kindness and caring for others. This dynamic may seem unfair and unfortunately it is a dynamic that often drives well-meaning individuals out of the helping field, sometimes never to return.

The good news is that talking about Compassion Fatigue is the best way to decrease or even eliminate it! Talking about that which makes us vulnerable provides us with self-awareness and may even strengthen our ability to continue to give good care to those in need! Let’s spend some time discussing this important topic as a gift to ourselves!

Presented by Erin Turner,  LISW-S is the Intensive Services Program Manager at Crossroads/Beacon Health in Lake County and Adjunct Faculty for Youngstown State School of Social Work Graduate Program. She has worked in community mental health settings for over 20 years as a volunteer, direct service provider, clinical supervisor and program manager.

April 16 & 17, 2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness!​<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51158&org_id=NEOL>
Don’t miss this two-day extravaganza of fun and learning for Youth Services staff! NORWELD and NEO-RLS are partnering to bring back Dr. Betsy Diamant-Cohen of Mother Goose On the Loose to lead the first day of this workshop. On day one, you will learn why play is important; how to connect playful activities across school readiness domains to spark multiple intelligences; how to collaborate with colleagues to explore new ways to infuse storytimes with STEM and the Arts; how to build early literacy, social/emotional, and school readiness skills; and match play with storytimes in ways that encourage parents and caregivers to become play partners and enjoy playful learning. The second day will be filled with music as Beverly Meyer, “The Music Lady” , takes you on a journey to become more musical (even if you think you aren’t).

Template 1 - NEONews February 25, 2018