[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Volunteers Wanted, Do you have a Levy?, Teen Think Tank, SLP Survey & Accidental Marketer

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Jul 22 15:59:12 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D540A6.65AD9080]
NEONews July 22, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Summer is More than Half Over- Still More Workshops and Webinars to Attend
  *   The Art and Science of Marketing Communications
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Teen Think Tank
  *   A Tale of Two Levies
  *   Featured Competency: Communication
  *   SLP Evaluation

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Be sure to share this one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0719_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> with your staff.
Teen Think Tank
Registration is now open<http://www.teenthinktank.net/12-dynamic-in-dayton.html> for Teen Think Tank , Friday, September 13, 2019 at the Mercer County District Library in Celina. This is the 13 th (!!) semiannual Teen Think Tank workshop and it’s on Friday the 13th ! Expect good luck and happy outcomes. Arrive early and enjoy an optional, free, pre-event evening of programs on Thursday, Sept. 12, or just join the fun on the 13 th
A Tale of Two Levies

Do you have a levy coming up?   Then this workshop is for you. Bring your team and learn the do's and don'ts of a levy campaign and how all staff need to be involved in getting a levy passed.

Learning Objectives:

·      An overview of the back-to-back election efforts of Stark Library in November 2018 and May 2019

·      Lessons learned that can be applied to any library levy

  *   Tips for how to develop your campaign efforts and maintain separation with library operations

Join presenters, Stephanie Cargill,  Communications Director and Derek Gordon, Director of Special Projects for Stark County District Library, on Thursday, August 15th <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53252&org_id=NEOL> to learn from a Tale of Two Levies.

Featured Competency: Communication

Crafting Effective Messages: The Art and Science of Marketing Communications<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>
08/08/2019

Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019

What Would You Do? Diversity and Harassment in the Workplace<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53502>
09/05/2019

Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>
09/12/2019

NEO-RLS Annual Membership Meeting & Appreciation Breakfast<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53282>
09/17/2019

Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>
11/12/2019

Presenting 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53342>
11/14/2019

The Unified Desk-Customer Service at Its Best <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53276>
11/20/2019

Unconscious Bias & Micro Messages <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53320>
12/05/2019

SLP Evaluation
As summer library programs are starting to wind down, be sure to make some time to relax, celebrate, and treat yourself, but also make time to complete the 2019 Ohio SLP Evaluation survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/srpeval2019<http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/srpeval2019>.

Your survey response helps the State Library, Regional Library Systems, other partners, and the Collaborative Summer Library Program to provide helpful resources and support for future SLPs.  It also gives us the information we need to communicate the value and impact of summer programs at Ohio libraries to stakeholders and influencers statewide. And, it’s an opportunity for you to reflect and share your experiences, brag a little, send us some photos (all of which are optional if your time is tight or you’re not interested – we’re happy just to get your participation numbers!).

Please complete the survey after your SRP/SLP is over and no later than September 6. Thank you!
A Note from the Executive Director

[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]We are looking for volunteers to serve on the NEO-RLS Board Committees for Finance, Bylaws/Policy and our newly established Ad Hoc Committee for Marketing/PR.  Are you interested in learning more about how the regional’s finances are structured?  Want to have a say in how dues and other fees are determined?  Then the Finance Committee is for you!  Want a role in creating the rules and policies that govern the organization and the decisions made? Then the Bylaws/Policies Committee is for you!  Interested in sharing your expertise on creating effective messaging and the best ways to convey that messaging?  Then the Marketing/PR committee is for you!  There is a place at the table for anyone interested in working with us as we continue serving the region’s libraries in the most relevant, cost-effective and beneficial manner possible.  We want your input and expertise.  If you are interested or have questions, email me at betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org>. Thanks!  I look forward to hearing from you.

Betsy Lantz

Summer is More than Half Over- Still More Workshops and Webinars to Attend

I Didn't Know You Did That! - Public Library Board Game Circulation [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53472>
07/22/2019
Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058>
07/23/2019
Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53474>
07/26/2019
The Librarian as Candidate: How to Activate Voters and Constituents for Support [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53476>
07/29/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53473>
08/02/2019
The Library as Cause: Lessons from Winning Campaigns [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53477>
08/05/2019
Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53059>
08/06/2019
3rd Face to Face Session - New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53205>
08/07/2019
Crafting Effective Messages: The Art and Science of Marketing Communications<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>
08/08/2019
Levy Webinar for All [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53475>
08/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019
How to make Outlook and Calendar work for you! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53249>
08/14/2019
A Tale of Two Levies: A Case Study for Planning Your Library Levy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53252>
08/15/2019
New Collection Management and Development Network and Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53146>
08/20/2019
Fortnite In The Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53479>
08/20/2019
Engage Your Learners: Presentations and Training with Accelerated Learning Techniques<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53108>
08/21/2019
Serving Veterans in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53172>
08/22/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53457>
08/22/2019
But I Saw it On the News<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53173>
09/04/2019
What Would You Do? Diversity and Harassment in the Workplace<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53502>
09/05/2019
Supervisors' Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53441>
09/06/2019
Girls Who Code <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53178>
09/10/2019
Emergency Preparedness Plan Preparation<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53179>
09/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 201<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52976>
09/11/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>
09/12/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53673>
09/13/2019
NEO-RLS Annual Membership Meeting & Appreciation Breakfast<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53282>
09/17/2019
Soft Skills for Strong Management: Cultivating Good Critical Thinking<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51175>
09/18/2019
What's New in Storytime: A Youth Services Network Event<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53283>
09/19/2019

The Art and Science of Marketing Communications
The key is Crafting the Effective Message<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>.  Join Kathy Dempsey  author of the popular how-to tome,  [http://neo-rls.org/photos/53243_07222019095626.jpg] The Accidental Library Marketer, who founded her own marketing consultancy, Libraries Are Essential for this workshop on Thursday, August 8th <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132> at the Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Write compelling value statements
  *   Create media soundbites
  *   Harness fundraising appeals
  *   Create brochure text
  *   Be prepared with your elevator speeches
  *   Create web copy
  *   Craft email subject lines
  *   Write social media posts
  *   Write better press releases
This fun, enlightening presentation includes audience interaction, critical thinking and message assessment, and individual writing practice. We will end the afternoon with a PR/Marketing roundtable discussion.
Template 1 - NEONews July 22, 2019