[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Thank You, Engage Learners, Fund Libraries, and Fun STEM Lessons

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Jul 29 12:26:20 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_2473007.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D54608.D2675E10]
NEONews July 29, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Research and Innovation Coordinator
  *   Register Today, It will be Fall before You Know It!
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Thank You
  *   #FundLibraries 2020
  *   Hosting a Wikipedia-Edit-a-thon Postponed
  *   Engage Your Learners

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Be sure to share CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0719_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff. There are just a few more programs to be posted for the fall.
Thank You
Thank you to our libraries for their continuing support of NEO-RLS through their 2019-2020 memberships.  NEO-RLS now has 94 library members.  Together we are maximizing library potential!

#FundLibraries 2020
As you may have heard in the news, the White House appears to be moving forward with a two-year budget deal. The agreement currently includes increased or level funding for most domestic programs, including libraries.

Once again, the Senate needs to hear from you <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=501377&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxch-wk27NXKGicrhkyIdbZjJjZ4ka-1gZvju3ydonPf3I2_odByCkxX7BE7GywyiSfXqpJn3OTcOmTXXG0Y7gv6TnPLqqcDRKLscniT2qUw0&lp=0> . Take two minutes to remind your senators why they should be funding libraries in your state. Urge them to vote yes on federal library funding <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=501377&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxrKY-9cZS6cUrN8AJqbyvNmtw79_SrukL2zB9sOZrhwhe1T3dFnfPZV5NaKlWatQUhiwFNPAGPG65CbRV7IOHa1rWcnhYL-gt_ez9Fw6i4Ms&lp=0> .

Want to see if your senators support our campaign? Check ALA's appropriations letter tracker <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxXyy3psNmAf0kZHGZth7NCAoTkdFvS-SE2k0BUIvMNREGyD_9_hQKKs0plr4Oos0L0BuoCujFwshvcB757PVvDiJIQgaUXnpfernKQb1NUwO8kkKmn3fG6kiWoRvtwJgy8PlyRPDocBY8O9gGcAmYXra4GUy8B0JseTmMSwMvwsM&lp=0> . Need more info? Read the latest advocacy news in American Libraries<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxVGZ-y5bArugV5cTCpsTf5Oq0VYkrK6km94PcCuuSFO5ejk5JcoavZvvJoA2u5AjMexQszDMsVjf52R_G9VW5b8YjOsYE5LPOurTqfLGfm1Wvh-JpODwqh0S9py4EPGGOHrDKiiH1yCPPIaNSU-HvhjGH3kxYdQ0ZXMAff3QxRjiyDzFwZghrcliUxmFDl_ebvQTDd8co4xPjDjbfmJNy6A&lp=0> online.
Hosting a Wikipedia-Edit-a-thon Postponed
Due to unforeseen circumstances the Hosting a Wikipedia-Edit-a-thon in Your Library
on July 31, 2019 has been postponed .  Watch the newsletter and website for the rescheduled date.
Engage Your Learners
Presentations and Training with Accelerated Learning Techniques
Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at Rocky River Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53108&org_id=NEOL>

Whether you plan on presenting to one person or a group of people, a few tips on being a presenter can help you get started to effectively pass on your knowledge.  The three P’s of training will guide you in developing more engaging techniques:  Prepare, Present & Post Activities.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Prepare:  Learn how to prepare to encourage the learning process and set the environment for the session.
  *   Present:  Discover tips for being a good presenter and how to tackle the curve balls.
  *   Post Activities:  Explore ways to help the attendees continue learning.
Presenter: Angela Paterek  is the Training Manager at the Rocky River Public Library.   Along with her over 17 years of being a library trainer and 11 years of training in the corporate environment, Angela has also taught in public schools and business colleges.  She has a degree in Business Education from the University of Akron.
A Note from the Research and Innovation Coordinator

[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35595_02132017081803.jpg]This past week, I ran a really cool tech program that centered around this year’s Summer Reading theme, “A Universe of Stories.” Using our Ozobot Classroom Kit and Ozobot’s fantastic educational Lesson Library<http://bit.ly/2y5N8jn> portal, I found a lesson plan <http://bit.ly/2GpS33i> that guides kids on using the Ozobots as their own tiny spaceship - showing them how to drive their spaceships and prepare a mission to Mars. These small but mighty robots can be coded simply by using red, green, blue and black markers. You drive and direct them by drawing lines and colors on paper. During the hour-long program, kids gained information about robotic sensors and computer programming while learning how to “drive” their spaceship. At the end of the program, not only had they acquired new skills, but the lesson plan provided them with their own spaceship driver’s license.

I wanted to pass this free and fun resource along to you in case you needed any last-minute program ideas or wanted to consider programs like this in the future. Tech companies like Ozobot<https://portal.ozobot.com/lessons>, Sphero<http://bit.ly/2OfzwwK>, 3Doodler <http://bit.ly/2XXVuce> and others provide excellent STEM-focused lesson portals that you can access and use for free. This is a fun, convenient and educational program that I’m sure your patrons would enjoy!

Holly Klingler

Register Today, It will be Fall before You Know It!

The Librarian as Candidate: How to Activate Voters and Constituents for Support [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53476>
07/29/2019
Postponed - Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019