[OPLINLIST] OPLIN Solves..."Why doesn't our link to XYZ database work?"

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Tue Feb 18 06:54:03 EST 2020

[image: unnamed.png]
*You know how you get the same questions, over and over again, at your
library? So do we! *
*In an effort to help answer some FAQs, OPLIN will periodically publish
these mini how-to guides.*

"Why doesn't our link to XYZ database work?"

In the majority of cases, the answer to this question is "because a library
is using the wrong URL."  All access to statewide databases (and even some
individually-purchased ones by libraries) uses authentication by proxy.
That means that, if you try to use the URL you see after you are actually
*in* the database, it won't include the proper authentication information.
So, that URL can't work.

*To find the correct URL for a statewide database (and even some
individually-purchased ones), see the authoritative list
at https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/content/how-link-oplin-databases
<https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/content/how-link-oplin-databases>*

--
*Laura Solomon,  MCIW, MLS*
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)