[OPLINLIST] NEO News:Salary Survey, SRP Database, Imagination Library, FREE Books & Guiding Ohio Online

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Feb 19 09:01:46 EST 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5E703.35225BE0]
NEONews February 18, 2020
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   March is Fast Approaching
  *   Free Books from The NEO-RLS Book Discussion Circuit
  *   OLC  2020 Technical Services Retreat
  *   Summer Reading Database
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   NEO-RLS Salary Survey Coming Soon! We Need Your Participation
  *   Ohio Governor’s Imagination Library
  *   Guiding Ohio Online

Continuing Education to Print and Share
New ways to receive continuing education information. Click here to review continuing education by Track <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Track_0220-0620.pdf> and by Competency <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Competency_0220-0620.pdf> .   Be sure to share this with your staff along with
CE @ A Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0120_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
NEO-RLS Salary Survey Coming Soon! We Need Your Participation
Our goal is to distribute the NEO-RLS Salary Survey by the end of March 2020 with a deliverable ready by the end of July 2020.  The open meeting on December 13, 2019 provided valuable input from members and non-members alike.  We are looking forward to providing robust and customizable reporting capabilities combined with high data integrity.  BUT, to be of the most value – we need YOU to participate.  We will be distributing the survey to libraries statewide and will be encouraging all types of libraries to participate.  We will keep you posted on our progress and will let you know when the survey will be emailed.  Thanks in advance for your participation.
Ohio Governor’s Imagination Library
The Ohio Governor’s Imagination Library (OGIL) is a partnership with Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library and county-level partner organizations (including many libraries) to provide every child in Ohio from birth to age five a new book each month. The goal is that every kindergartener begins school with 60 books in their home. The Imagination Library is now available in 56 counties. OGIL is more than halfway to its goal of making this opportunity available to young children in all 88 counties. This week, Franklin County announced the launch of its Imagination Library program. In Franklin County alone, all of its 83,000 children under the age of 5 are eligible to enroll in this free program.

Parents and guardians can find out if their county is already participating, and can enroll their children in the program, using the form on this page: ohioimaginationlibrary.com/enroll<https://ohioimaginationlibrary.com/enroll>.

To learn more about the OGIL click HERE<https://ohioimaginationlibrary.org/early-literacy-matters>.
Guiding Ohio Online
The State Library of Ohio will host informational workshops about the Guiding Ohio Online program and its application process on the dates listed below. The State Library’s Guiding Ohio Online program, which targets populations in rural Ohio, helps Ohioans develop digital skills needed to fully participate in the digital age. Trainers will serve in selected libraries during the program year, October 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021 .  Information about the program can be found here <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/library-programs-development/guiding-ohio-online/> . A new online application with updated questions and proposed budget form will be released soon.
State Library staff will be conducting workshops to explain the Guiding Ohio Online program and go over the new application process.  Whether you’re a current Guiding Ohio Online library site or considering joining the program for the first time, come to one of the in-person training sessions to learn how the program works, how it is funded, reporting required, and how to apply. Interested libraries can receive in-session help on filling out their applications and budget sheets from State Library staff.

Dates and Locations:
Tuesday, March 3 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – NORWELD
Thursday March 5, 10 a.m.- 12 p.m. – NEO-RLS
Monday, March 9, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – SERLS
Wednesday, March 11, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Greene County (Beavercreek Library)
Thursday, March 12, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – State Library of Ohio
Registration<http://ceohio.evanced.info/signup/calendar> is required for free training sessions. Click here<http://ceohio.evanced.info/signup/calendar> to see dates on Statewide Shared Calendar

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]On February 6th I attended the quarterly meeting of the regional library systems’ (RLS) Directors at the State Library of Ohio. The meetings are extremely valuable in terms of letting the regionals know what is happening statewide that might be of interest to us or to our libraries. For instance, at this meeting our State Librarian, Beverly Cain, talked about the State Library’s new strategic plan, the upcoming state budget process, and the need for the regionals to align budget priorities with stated priorities of the governor (e.g. early childhood literacy) as possible. We learned about changes being proposed with regard to the way ballot language works for levy campaigns and the fact that OLC is opposing the proposed change. We found out that more and more libraries are applying for LSTA funds and that the Guiding Ohio Online 2020-2021 applications are now available. In addition, I get a chance to hear what the other regionals (NORWELD, SWON and SERLS) are doing and how we might collaborate across regions to add value to the programs and services we offer our members. Lastly, we are able to discuss challenges and successes, much like our members do in the Network Groups, so that we can effectively provide excellent service. For me, the meetings are a valuable part of my own continuing education, providing me with new ways of looking at what we can, and might do, to better serve the libraries in our region. If you ever have a question that you would like addressed at one of our meetings, please let me know and I will be happy to bring it to the group. Together we are maximizing library potential, not just in our region but also statewide!​

Betsy Lantz
March is Fast Approaching

Gadgets and Gizmos: Exploring Technology for Youth<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55479>
02/19/2020
Creating and Maintaining a Summer Reading Database<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55625>
02/19/2020
Why SMART Goals<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55477>
02/20/2020
AOS Training and Fiscal Officer Network <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55746>
02/21/2020
EBSCO Do-It-Yourself Interfaces (Hobbies and Crafts, Home Improvement, and Small Business)<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55240>
02/25/2020
2020 Census and Libraries: Key Details and Strategies [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56287>
03/02/2020
The Return of Book Look<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55626>
03/03/2020
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55627>
03/04/2020
Enhancing Community Partnerships and Grant Writing<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55249>
03/05/2020
The Basics of Project Management<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55264>
03/10/2020
Encore Entrepreneurship: Serving 50+ Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55629>
03/11/2020
A Day for Catalogers <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55745>
03/12/2020
The Road to Copyright Clarity, Part 2<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56425>
03/17/2020
Leadership Academy <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55598>
03/19/2020
Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56004>
03/20/2020
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55599>
03/24/2020
Leveraging Libraries as a Resource for Immigrant and Refugee Neighbors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55632>
03/25/2020
Next Level LEGOS <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55633>
03/26/2020
Budgeting Part 1: The Rules<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55636>
03/31/2020
Critical Conversations: Building Empathy to Build Community<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56282>
04/02/2020
Book Discussion Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56015>
04/03/2020
Northeast Ohio Teen Network Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55867>
04/07/2020
Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55639>
04/08/2020
From Peer to Leader<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55684>
04/15/2020

Free Books from The NEO-RLS Book Discussion Circuit
NEO-RLS’ Book Discussion Circuit will cease as of June 30, 2020 and the libraries that had subscribed to the Circuit have made their selections of book titles.  The remaining titles are on this list <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/Book_list_for_newsletter.pdf> and are available to our region’s libraries for FREE.  Please go to our website<https://www.viethconsulting.com/members/resource_list.php?org_id=NEOL> for authors and brief descriptions on the titles.

  *   Each title has a set of 10-12 books and many include discussion materials.
  *   Requests will be honored on a first come, first served basis.
  *   Requested materials will be delivered through statewide delivery or via pickup at the NEO-RLS office.
  *   We will take requests until March 15, 2020 after which date unclaimed materials will be offered to libraries throughout Ohio.
  *   Submit your requests to Debbie Blair <mailto:deb.blair at neo-rls.org> if you are interested in any of the titles.

​   We hope to find good homes for our approximately 200 book titles.

OLC  2020 Technical Services Retreat
You're invited to join your colleagues for the biennial  2020 Technical Services Retreat <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001oHVaPHX_JWXmmsntJxhqNsqRVxJNhjxcQANtP1bii1pVDTs5EDg1HOLVKI4e9V71B21C66AK0RcbdhVaAWNjh3ZRD2EeJW9pRieGVM4xyGfK5VPaadlEdP6Mx4QEglkN3Pry7uttsZLJuwRSV-Ux6iyo_OAbO7WXZ7tl3i7PiXPkdzZVmElpLsmmUFmK3a6L6JAJxIvLHRzeIdu_NcUmusi76MdTcKN8jIhDsje20884SkTny7xv72WVN9Gsh4n0bI0Nzld0gqY=&c=O2e2i-toCBn-CdLVB16MBgTaMHvtgqjabXHjx9qRe4X7NosLar5sGA==&ch=v6ZL6-zze5gYthC4zNjM1AkgSPCTEt8mLvlWxsrzxit3AiRAkhHOLA==> , an educational event that strikes the perfect balance between the big picture and focused, practical topics.

Libraries focus on offering open and affordable access to resources despite changing budgets, expectations, and environments. The 2020 Technical Services Retreat will highlight innovative approaches, clear visions, and fresh perspectives for the future.
  2020 Technical Services Retreat: Moving Forward with 2020 Vision <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001oHVaPHX_JWXmmsntJxhqNsqRVxJNhjxcQANtP1bii1pVDTs5EDg1HOLVKI4e9V71B21C66AK0RcbdhVaAWNjh3ZRD2EeJW9pRieGVM4xyGfK5VPaadlEdP6Mx4QEglkN3Pry7uttsZLJuwRSV-Ux6iyo_OAbO7WXZ7tl3i7PiXPkdzZVmElpLsmmUFmK3a6L6JAJxIvLHRzeIdu_NcUmusi76MdTcKN8jIhDsje20884SkTny7xv72WVN9Gsh4n0bI0Nzld0gqY=&c=O2e2i-toCBn-CdLVB16MBgTaMHvtgqjabXHjx9qRe4X7NosLar5sGA==&ch=v6ZL6-zze5gYthC4zNjM1AkgSPCTEt8mLvlWxsrzxit3AiRAkhHOLA==>
April 15-16, 2020
Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center (Lewis Center)
Columbus, Ohio
Registration Fees:
Member: $235 | Non-member $470   (Registration opens Feb. 19, 2020)
Summer Reading Database
Join us the afternoon of Wednesday, February 19, 2020 <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55625> at Kent Free Library to learn more about creating and maintaining a summer reading database.  In this workshop, library staff will get a peek at the Kent Free Library's Summer Reading Database, used for the first time in 2019.  Completely customizable to your needs, a summer reading database can help your library streamline registration and stats keeping-all without having to pay for an online program subscription.  See how Kent Free Library's system works for their library, and how it might work for yours!
Learning Objectives:

  *   How Microsoft Access can be used to mimic an online registration program
  *   How Access can be used to streamline summer reading record keeping and statistics
  *   How an Access database can be customized to suit your summer reading program
Presenter:  Caylee Heiremans  has been a Youth Services Librarian at Kent Free Library for 5 years.
Template 1 - NEONews February 18, 2020