[OPLINLIST] Fw: NEO-RLS News: Connecting with Teens, Documenting the Pandemic, Summer Reading Prizes, & More

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed May 27 10:41:15 EDT 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<https://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7237585.htm>

[cid:header811]
NEO-RLS News-May 27, 2020
Weekly Updates

  *   A Note from the Executive Director, Betsy Lantz
  *   COVID-19: Documenting the Pandemic in Your Community
  *   Connecting with Teens Today and Tomorrow
  *   Many Online Opportunities for June
  *   Low Cost Summer Library Program Incentives
  *   Summer Food Service Program Webinar
  *   REALM (Reopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums) Project

A Note from the Executive Director, Betsy Lantz
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/59194_02102020090245.jpg]

What does reopening look like to you and your community? We know that there are many different situations within our region and many different responses. Some of our libraries have already reopened to the public. Many have begun curbside service. Others are waiting for their overarching institution to reopen. We would like to know where you are in the process, no matter what you have decided is best for your community. Please take a minute to answer our 3 question survey or drop us an email. We will post the information to our website so that you are kept informed as to what is happening in our region. We thank you for your assistance. Have a great week and stay well!

Take the Survey.<https://mms.neo-rls.org/members/form.php?orgcode=NEOL&fid=3621687>

Betsy

COVID-19: Documenting the Pandemic in Your Community
Join us on Thursday, June 11th at 10 am<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=57741&org_id=NEOL>

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/62966_05222020160505.jpg]This webinar will focus on how to engage the communities you serve to record and collect local history as it happens. Learn the mechanics behind a project that gets everyone involved in documenting community history.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_164339127.htm>
Connecting with Teens Today and Tomorrow
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/62967_05222020161210.jpg] Join Linda W. Braun,  who over the past two decades has provided consulting services to a variety of schools, libraries, and out-of-school-time learning institutions, for   Connecting with Teens Today and Tomorrow <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=57901&org_id=NEOL>  on  Thursday, June 11th at 2:00 pm<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=57901&org_id=NEOL>

Library staff working with teens are expert at connecting with the age group in face-to-face settings. However, it can be challenging to keep those connections, and create new ones, within a virtual environment. In this webinar participants have the chance to learn about and brainstorm ways to connect with and build relationships with teens; learn what current needs and interests are; and develop activities that support the social, emotional, and civic engagement in today’s virtual environments and tomorrow’s return to face-to-face.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_164340349.htm>
Many Online Opportunities for June

Good Leaders, Bad Decisions<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55816>
05/27/2020
Adult Services Virtual Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57645>
06/02/2020
Customer Service on the Telephone and by Email <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55722>
06/03/2020
Directors Virtual Networking Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57897>
06/03/2020
Youth Services (Children & Teen) Virtual Networking Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57898>
06/04/2020
Human Resource and Fiscal Officer Virtual Networking Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=57899>
06/05/2020

See More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_164358679.htm>
Low Cost Summer Library Program Incentives
Shared from Janet Ingram Dwyer, State Library of Ohio Consultant
Here are some ideas for no-cost or very low cost Summer Library Program incentives for a nontraditional summer:

  *   One-time jump to the front of the reserve queue on a book of the patron’s choice
  *   Voucher good for reduction/forgiveness of overdue fines
  *   Coupon for free item from Friends booksale (when available)
  *   Patron’s first name/last initial in chalk/acrylic on library sidewalk, or on a die-cut posted on library window
  *   Completion certificate mailed to home
  *   Custom activity packet mailed to home

Summer Food Service Program Webinar
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/USDA_logo.png]The Collaborative Summer Library Program and representatives of the USDA Food & Nutrition Service are collaborating to offer a nationwide webinar for library staff about the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and its special waivers for summer 2020 that allow non-congregate feeding.

Read More<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_164336683.htm>
REALM (Reopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums) Project
An update on the REALM (Reopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums) Project <https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/COVID-19-research-project.html> of OCLC, Battelle, and the IMLS - Five items commonly found in public libraries (hardcover book cover, softcover book cover, book pages, plastic protective cover, DVD case) have been selected for initial lab testing, to determine the length of time the COVID-19 virus may live on the surface of these materials. Testing began May 13, 2020, using materials provided to Battelle by Columbus Metropolitan Library, and the results of this first round are expected to be released mid-June.

For more information on this first round of testing and other activities, visit the “Happening Now” project update page:
www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/realm-happening-now.html <http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/realm-happening-now.html>
Template 11 - NEO-RLS News-May 27, 2020