[OPLINLIST] 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize Winners

Gregor, Paul PGregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Tue Nov 17 16:21:06 EST 2020

Alice Hoffman's The World That We Knew, a novel exploring
love and resistance amidst the horrors of the Holocaust, and Know My Name, Chanel Miller's
devastating but ultimately hopeful memoir of sexual assault and its aftermath, have been named
winners of the 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize for fiction and nonfiction, respectively.

Christy Lefteri's The Beekeeper of Aleppo, a powerful novel that puts a human face on the Syrian war
by following the story of an immigrant beekeeper and his wife was named runner-up for fiction, while
Jennifer Eberhardt's Biased, which explores how unconscious bias shapes human behavior from the
classroom to the courtroom was named runner-up for nonfiction.

Margaret Atwood was previously named as the winner of the Ambassador Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award.

Inspired by the 1995 Dayton Peace Accords that ended the war in Bosnia, The Dayton Literary Peace
Prize is the only international literary peace prize awarded in the United States. The Prize celebrates
the power of literature to promote peace, social justice, and global understanding. This year's winners
will be honored at a gala ceremony in Dayton on June 27, 2021.

The 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize in Fiction:
The World That We Knew (Simon & Schuster) by Alice Hoffman is a sweeping novel that follows three
unforgettable young women in 1941 Berlin -- one of them a golem sworn to protect the youngest. In a
world where evil and death lurk at every turn, we meet remarkable characters who take us on a
stunning journey of loss and resistance, relying on their own courage and love to survive.

In Know My Name: A Memoir (Viking), Chanel Miller shares the full story of her trauma and recovery
from a sexual assault on the Stanford campus in 2015. She turns the focus from the perpetrator,
where such stories are often centered, to the critical but much less common work of revealing the truth
of survivors, whose suffering is so often silenced and unseen.

Posted on behalf of Helen Prichard and the Library Committee of the Dayton Literary Peace Prize.

Paul Gregor
Head Librarian
Jamestown Community Library