[OPLINLIST] Laptop lending policies

Chris Kincaid ckincaid at nctlib.org
Mon Dec 6 17:05:54 EST 2021

Linux allows you to set up guest sessions that do not save any information and reverts it to its template upon logout. You can use another profile as its template. This keeps staff from needing to do more than restart the machine after each in-library use. The template and the Linux Admin need strong passwords! See http://dashohoxha.fs.al/linux-guest-account/ for steps on how to set this up. Note: it only works with lightdm window manager.

If you are using a Chromebook that's tethered to a hotspot, you should be able to lock the Chromebook remotely after a certain checkout period as long as it is connected to the Internet. Unfortunately, it's easy enough to reimage the device if the patron knows their stuff. I've had hotspots even return with strange software flashed on them!

I hope this helps,

Chris Kincaid
Assistant Director
Newcomerstown Public Library