[OPLINLIST] LinkedIn Learning migrations week

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Thu May 6 10:58:50 EDT 2021

At this point, more than half of Ohio's libraries have been migrated from
Lynda.com to LinkedIn Learning for Library (LiLL), and we've learned a few
things over the week.

LinkedIn previously told us that migrations begin at 9:00 a.m. and last
about two hours; we've been seeing that they can start much later in the
day, and last longer than indicated. The best way for a library to track
the change is to keep checking their existing Lynda portal link. When the
migration is done, the Lynda portal will redirect to
https://www.lynda.com/upgrade/completed, and the "Get Started" button will
send users to your new LinkedIn Learning login page.

LinkedIn told me today that it can take 24-48 hours *after* migration for
user results to fully populate. (No one has reported that to us yet, but if
you log into LinkedIn Learning and your learning history is empty, wait a
couple days to see if it appears.) We've also learned that if someone had
set up their new account in LiLL prior to migration, that won't prevent the
Lynda history from being merged in, so that's nice.

Getting into LiLL directly from a library's website is pretty
straightforward, but alternative paths—a Google search, a MARC record
loaded in the catalog, the general LinkedIn Learning page, or the LinkedIn
Learning app—are more twisted. In that case, patrons are prompted to "Enter
your Library ID." There's really no way for patrons to guess at that. It's
going to be your library's federal identification number, the "oh####" that
is at the end of your LiLL link. I'm hopeful that that process will get
more smooth, but right now it's just not. It might be best to put
instructions on your website to help patrons use the app.

It's been a long project. Hang tight—we're almost through it.

                    Don Yarman
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250